From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Where is the Ada for LINUX Team site?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 05:14:38 GMT
Date: 2000-11-22T05:14:38+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8venks$634$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> Ahhh. So it wasn't "the main gnu list", but rather the main
> gcc list. Not precicely a list I'd expect a RPM packager to
> subscribe to, unless they are in the habit of subscribing to
> random lists out of paranoia.

I would recommend that anyone involved in development of the
gcc system (certainly true of the ALT group) can benefit from
following the gcc list.
> However, there were some side grumblings in there about how
> ALT was originally supposed to be doing much more.

It is not a matter of "supposed to be", but rather "hoped to
do". We all know that when you volunteer, you don't know how
much time and effort you have to spend, and these things take
a lot of time. We had a lot of hopes at the Paris meeting of
ACT and the ALT team, but not everything came to pass.

>(perhaps even maintaining the GNAT source tree?)

At the Paris meeting, we had hoped that this might happen,
resulting in a public tree much earlier, but as you know it
did not, and that is why ACT is now taking the lead in
creating this public tree.

> It certianly looks like there has been some extra
> discord between ALT and ACT that wasn't explictly talked about
> much.

Not that I or anyone else at ACT is aware of! And certainly
nothing that any of the ALT people have brought to my attention.
The first I knew of Juergen getting upset was his post to CLA,
he had said nothing to anyone at ACT before this post. The
only mail I had received was a message six days earlier, a
perfectly friendly message offering to contribute his RPM
technology, since we had announced we would be building
RPM's for a future release of GNAT.

> I have to wonder if some of Jurgen's problems aren't related
> to that, with the RPM thing (misunderstanding?) just being the
> "final straw"...

Well you can always sew uncertainty and doubt with wonderings,
but all I can say is that if you know this to be the case you
know more than me.

Robert Dewar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.