From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: How to compile with GNAT?
Date: 2000/11/21
Date: 2000-11-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <z4.v4.qA2ZLlcjVty4f8z05.NR@alchemy.panu.o.k.pl>,
  "Tomislav Kitynski" <cromax@alchemy.panu.o.k.pl> wrote:

> Because of studies I D/L GNAT 2.7.2.1 for Amiga (GeekGadgets port), I
> have also GCC installed. Uhm, there's not even a word in the tgz how
> to use this compiler. I tried gnatmake hello.adb, but it outputs some
> trash to console and soon crashes the system... 8( Well, I got e.g.

First off, the current public version of Gnat is 3.13p. Any version 2.X
is probably well over 4 years old. You *really* don't want to use a
version that old.

Secondly, in the most recent versions "gnatmake hello.adb" would try to
build an executable from the compilation unit "hello" in "hello.adb".
The fact that it tries to do something and dies nastily (rather than
giving you some error message) tells me that the port you have is
probably bad. You are almost certianly going to have to take that issue
(along with the documentation issue) up with the people who built that
port (GeekGadgets?). Given its vintage, I wish you the best of luck. But
in order to get your school work done, you may well have to use a
supported platform.

I'm not at all unsympathetic. I happen to have two Amigas at home. Back
when I was developing software on them, I used Modula-2 because that was
the best language available for the Amiga. But I would have switched to
Ada in a minute if it was available.

Again, good luck to you.

--
T.E.D.