From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Where is the Ada for LINUX Team site?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:42:04 GMT
Date: 2000-11-21T01:42:04+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8vbhu4$fqh$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> asked about the
location of the discussion thread.

The thread in question is "Why not gnat Ada in gcc?" and
the list is gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/.

The entire relevant discussion is in this list. The confusion
apparently arose because Juergen was not following this list,
but got concerned when someone sent him some out of context
messages.

The ironic thing is that the actual dynamics was complaints
from Richard Stallman about ACT's behavior. He was concerned
that NOT providing RPM's meant we were not doing our job :-)
It was in that context that I explained why we were not
directly distributing the RPM's in question! No one was
saying that these RPM's were somehow evil, just that they
made decisions that resulted in a non-conforming implementation,
and we have an obligation from the validation procedures not to
distribute compilers that do not pass the validation suite.

The whole matter will eventually be OBE when we can provide
RPM's which DO have full functionality, which is in our plans
for the near future. Meanwhile, the existing RPM's are very
useful for a lot of people, and we have often pointed users
of the public version in this direction, since especially for
casual users and students, the convenience of the RPM's far
outweighs the fairly obscure issues of non-conformance. It
is one of the advantages of the open source distribution
model that even though we restricted our distributions to
(arguably less convenient, but more strictly conforming)
non-RPM versions, volunteers were able to take a different
approach that met other needs.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/