* Ada Programmers Wanted in Denver Colorado
@ 2000-11-14  0:00 David Parish
       [not found] ` <01c04fc4$7f9c2de0$12f936cb@sun-tzu>
From: David Parish @ 2000-11-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am hiring Ada95 programmers for programming real-time robotics applications.
If you are interested, please visit www.omnitech.com and press the "employment"
button. Feel free to contact Human resources, me directly at
dparish@omnitech.com. We offer competitive compensation, 401K, employee stock
ownership, medical benefits, etc. and a nice work environment.
Thank You for your consideration.
Regards,
David Parish

* Re: Ada Programmers Wanted in Denver Colorado
       [not found] ` <01c04fc4$7f9c2de0$12f936cb@sun-tzu>
@ 2000-11-16  0:00   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2000-11-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graeme wrote:

> 401 K ????????
> Ay Carumba...
> *& swoon*
> :-�
> Guess I better keep studying...
> G.
>
> David Parish <dpa11111@aol.com> wrote in article
> <20001114184308.04012.00000238@ng-ch1.aol.com>...
> > I am hiring Ada95 programmers for programming real-time robotics
> applications.
> > If you are interested, please visit www.omnitech.com and press the
> "employment"
> > button. Feel free to contact Human resources, me directly at
> > dparish@omnitech.com. We offer competitive compensation, 401K, employee
> stock
> > ownership, medical benefits, etc. and a nice work environment.
> > Thank You for your consideration.
> > Regards,
> > David Parish

Uh, that's not $401,000, that's 401/K, the term used for a particular
kind of company sponsored retirement savings plan.

It's an excellent approach, and since you're still in college, here's a
bit of unsolicited advice...

Start contributing to your 401/K or other retirement savings plan as
soon as you get a job.  Don't put it off, over time the money can build
up to some serious change and potentially allow you to "retire" years
earlier than you might otherwise have been able to.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation

* Off Topic: Re: Ada Programmers Wanted in Denver Colorado
@ 2000-11-17  0:00     ` Frode Tenneboe
From: Frode Tenneboe @ 2000-11-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley <mcquad@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Start contributing to your 401/K or other retirement savings plan as
: soon as you get a job.  Don't put it off, over time the money can build
: up to some serious change and potentially allow you to "retire" years
: earlier than you might otherwise have been able to.

I'm not entirely familiar with the US system (thin ice ahead!), however
if this is a tax motivated method of saving you are probably better off
putting your savings elsewhere.

Regards,
 -Frode
--
^ Frode Tenneb�                    | email: ft@edh.ericsson.se      ^
| Ericsson Radar AS. N-1788 Halden |                                |

* Re: Off Topic: Re: Ada Programmers Wanted in Denver Colorado
@ 2000-11-17  0:00       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-11-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <974473195.584211@edh3>,
  Frode Tenneboe <ft@alne.edh.ericsson.se> wrote:
> Marc A. Criley <mcquad@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> : Start contributing to your 401/K or other retirement savings plan as

> I'm not entirely familiar with the US system (thin ice ahead!),
> however if this is a tax motivated method of saving you are probably
> better off putting your savings elsewhere.

Very thin ice, I'd say. The way 401K's work, any money you contribute to
them is taken from your pay *before* your taxes are calculated.
Therefore it not only allows you to save, but it also reduces what you
have to pay in taxes (and could conceivably lower your tax *rate*).
Nothing in there gets taxed until you take it out, presumably when you
retire and won't have as much income (and thus a lower tax rate). But
there are even some exceptions that allow tax-free withdrawls (eg:
education, down payment for home). Additionally, employers will match a
certain percentage of what you put in, effectively increasing your
salary with more money that doesn't get taxed. Most plans offer a wide
range of investments to place your 401K money into, so you can choose
the risk/reward ratio you want. You can change investments relatively
easily, usually with no fees or loads. There generally aren't a lot of
drawbacks.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/