* Re: glibc 2.2 released
@ 2000-11-10  0:00 ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2000-11-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Nov 2000 14:24:26 GMT, Markus Kuhn wrote:
>This might be of interest for those taking care of GNAT under Linux,
>because previous glibc updates have repeatedly broken GNAT in some
>way:

There's no major breakage. The most recent version of Debian runs
glibc 2.2 (2.1.97) and GNAT works just fine on it. I'm downloading
and building GNAT now as a check (because the Debian GNAT wasn't
built under glibc 2.2), but in general this upgrade has gone much
smoother than glibc 2.1 upgrades, so I don't antcipate any problems.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org

* glibc 2.2 released
@ 2000-11-10  0:00 Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 2000-11-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
Date: 09 Nov 2000 17:36:27 -0800 (Fri 01:36 GMT)

Release 2.2 of the GNU C library is now available at

	ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/glibc/releases

and (hopefully soon)

	ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc

and all the mirror sites around the globe.

The new files are

	glibc-2.2.tar.bz2               (~10MB, also .gz w/ ~14MB)
	glibc-linuxthreads-2.2.tar.bz2  (also .gz)
	nss_db-2.2.tar.gz
	nss_lwres-0.91.tar.gz

The 2.2 release is the result of almost two years of work and includes
thousands of changes, significant improvements and bug fixes.  The
interface is almost complete with respect to current Unix standards.
This version of the library is believed to be more stable than any
previous release and therefore users of previous releases are strongly
advised to upgrade.  There are no known compatibility problems (except
if a program relies on bugs in previous releases; that is the program's
problem).

*BUT*: updating the C library is no trivial task and it is very easy
to damage one's system.  Therefore, persons who do not exactly know
what to do, should consider using a binary distribution instead, when
it becomes available.  All major Linux distributors will hopefully
base their next release on glibc 2.2.  Don't tell us you haven't been
warned.

* Re: glibc 2.2 released
@ 2000-11-12  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-11-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8uh9j8$9aa1@news.cis.okstate.edu>,
  dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org wrote:
> There's no major breakage. The most recent version of Debian
> runs glibc 2.2 (2.1.97) and GNAT works just fine on it.

Indeed, and I am not sure what the "repeated" issue is about.
Yes, there was one big transition, that caused everyone pain,
but no one wants to repeat that!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.