* GNAT on Tru64 5.1
@ 2000-11-03 10:08 dominikmadon
From: dominikmadon @ 2000-11-03 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello there,

I'm developing software on an alpha box I just have upgraded from
Tru64 5.0a to 5.1. Unfortunately after the switch, I discovered some
problems when compiling with gnat. I found later that even gcc had some
troubles with the new OS. ACT seems to not support 5.1 yet but is aware
of the problem.

Did anyone experience problems compiling with gnat on Tru64 5.0a or
older and running generated programs on 5.1? Is there any other Ada95
option than gnat on Tru64?

Thanks for Help.
Dominik

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: GNAT on Tru64 5.1
@ 2000-11-06  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <973511397.283610@ns.dcu.ie>, Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org writes:
> If you continue to have trouble I might try it out to see if I can help
> you out.
>
> As for another Ada compiler on Tru64: erm, what about DEC Ada which can be found
> in /bin/ada ?

DEC Ada is currently only supported on VMS (VAX and Alpha).

I did not read the prior post to determine whether "supported" was a goal.
It is certainly possible that something might work without being supported,
and for some circumstances that may be sufficient.  Other readers, however,
might have more stringent requirements.

* Re: GNAT on Tru64 5.1
@ 2000-11-06  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org wrote:
> If you continue to have trouble I might try it out to see if I
can help
> you out.
>
> As for another Ada compiler on Tru64: erm, what about DEC Ada
which can be found
> in /bin/ada ?

Actually we have heard from a number of people that DEC Ada
does not work on 5.1. It turns out that 5.0->5.1 is quite
a big change, which is certainly what we see. We are expecting
to be able to support 5.1 in the near future.

Ada Core Technologies

@ 2000-11-06  0:00 Colin_Paul_Gloster
From: Colin_Paul_Gloster @ 2000-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-11-08  0:00 ` Dominik Madon
From: Dominik Madon @ 2000-11-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <973511397.283610@ns.dcu.ie>,
  Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org wrote:
> If you continue to have trouble I might try it out to see if I
> can help you out.

I'd like to but I don't think you can help me because it is a BIG
problem. Even when I try to compile C code using gcc I get compiler's
internal errors. It appears that Tru64 is not upward compatible from
5.0 to 5.1...

Thanks anyway.

> As for another Ada compiler on Tru64: erm, what about DEC
> Ada which can be found in /bin/ada ?

I don't have it.

I will probably wait for ACT's Tru64-5.1 compatible release of GNAT. I
called Rational and they told me their engineers have just received
their copy of Tru64 5.1. It looks like there is no Ada compiler
available today for Tru64 5.1.

@ 2000-11-09  0:00 Colin_Paul_Gloster
From: Colin_Paul_Gloster @ 2000-11-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If the changes between Tru64 v. 5.0 and 5.1 really are that big
then I can't help. I've got access to v.5.0 but not v.5.1.

* Re: GNAT on Tru64 5.1
@ 2000-11-09  5:28   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-11-09  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8ubp79$kie$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Dominik Madon <dominikmadon@my-deja.com> wrote:
> I'd like to but I don't think you can help me because it is a
BIG
> problem. Even when I try to compile C code using gcc I get
compiler's
> internal errors. It appears that Tru64 is not upward
compatible from
> 5.0 to 5.1...

Indeed that is very true, it is a minor version number change,
but a pretty big functional change.

> I will probably wait for ACT's Tru64-5.1 compatible release of
> GNAT. I called Rational and they told me their engineers have
> just received their copy of Tru64 5.1. It looks like there is
> no Ada compiler available today for Tru64 5.1.

We are making good progress, and now have a compiler that
works OK, but we need more work on tools (for example the
traceback seems to have mysteriously changed). You should
contact ACT with your customer number (or sales@gnat.com)
to get the latest update on the status of Tru64 5.1 support.

@ 2000-11-10  0:04 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-11-10  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <973788415.457042@ns.dcu.ie>,
  Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org wrote:
> If the changes between Tru64 v. 5.0 and 5.1 really are that
> big then I can't help. I've got access to v.5.0 but not v.5.1.

Tru64 V 5.0 is no problem at all. GNAT has worked fine on
that target for some time. And so has DEC Ada, and I assume
that other compilers work fine too. You can see by the fact
that all vendors have trouble with the switch that this is
not a trivial change :-)