From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: User and system time
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 15:50:57 GMT
Date: 2000-11-02T15:50:57+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <0h820tgk1aln43cab8u0pcfgvgknqgeblo@4ax.com>,
  Espen Stranger Seland <espenss@stud.ifd.hibu.no> wrote:

(I believe Robert Dewar wrote this part)
> >This is not a language question, but rather an operating
> >system question, you need to consult your OS documentation
> >and call the appropriate routines.

> Ok. In Watcom/QNX there is functions to get these stats from
> daughter-processes/threads. Just thought there could be
> something like inside ada95.

Not quite. QNX (an OS) has calls to get those stats. It has nothing to
do with Watcom except that they perhaps chose to write some bindings (C
header files) to that facility for you. An Ada QNX vendor could do the
exact same thing with Ada specification files. So could any other
language vendor whose language is capable of linking in OS facilites. If
they (Watcom or your QNX Ada vendor) didn't bother, you could even do it
yourself if you could find out what the linkage and parameter profile
are.

"Fine", you say, "But I still want to use this facility in Ada and
you haven't answerd that part of my question." Well, lets try a bit
harder then...

Ada (like C) does not have such a facility natively, probably because it
isn't universally available. (How would I do it on DOS, where there are
no processes or threads?) So if you want to gather that information in
Ada (or in C or in Fortran or in Java or in Cobol or in...) you have to
do the following:

   o  Find out what facility your OS provides for it.
   o  Find out what bindings your compiler provides to that facility.
   o  If the answer to the above is none, see if any third parties
      provide said bindings.
   o  If the answer to the above is still none (or there are cost or
      licensing issues), find the specifications of the OS calls, and
      roll your own bindings.

The only difference with C is that there will almost certianly be at
least one C compiler on any OS that meets the second bullet. But these
days its actually a pretty rare Ada compiler that comes with no OS
bidings either.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/