From: dvdeug@x8b4e516e.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner)
Subject: Re: access type question (maybe a little silly)
Date: 20 Oct 2000 02:01:49 GMT
Date: 2000-10-20T02:01:49+00:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:09:33 -0500, Pat Rogers wrote:
>If you're running an application that executes for a very long time,
>then you might want to do the reclamation.  If you're running a
>desktop, one-off, short-lived application, then it probably won't be
>worth the effort.

I've never seen a program big enough to need access types that wasn't
worth it to try and collect it. I have, on the other hand, seen several
small programs become quite a nuiscence by eating up hundreds of megabytes
of memory in seconds. If you've got a program that inputs files, remember
that the next guy will try to load a 100 MB picture/a half gig of mp3s/
the collected works of Shakespeare through your program.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org