* Tribute to Ada from C++ Advocate
@ 2000-10-18  0:00 Lao Xiao Hai
From: Lao Xiao Hai @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of my favorite books on C++ is Effective C++ by Scott Meyers
(Addison-Wesley).

Here is an informative paragraph from Scott Meyer's book.  (p 224,
Second Edition)

"As long as we're on the topic of warnings, recall that warnings are
inherently implementation
dependent, so it's not a good idea to get sloppy in your programming,
relying on compilers
to spot your mistakes for you.  The function-hiding code above, for
instance, goes through
a different (but widely-used) compiler with nary a squawk.  Compilers
are suposed to
translate C++ into an executable format, not act as your personal safety
net. You want
that kind of safety?  Program in Ada."

Richard Riehle

* Re: Tribute to Ada from C++ Advocate
@ 2000-10-19  4:38 ` mjsilva
From: mjsilva @ 2000-10-19  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39EE600A.391B58C2@ix.netcom.com>,
  Lao Xiao Hai <laoxhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> One of my favorite books on C++ is Effective C++ by Scott Meyers
> (Addison-Wesley).
>
> Here is an informative paragraph from Scott Meyer's book.  (p 224,
> Second Edition)
>
> "As long as we're on the topic of warnings, recall that warnings are
> inherently implementation
> dependent, so it's not a good idea to get sloppy in your programming,
> relying on compilers
> to spot your mistakes for you.  The function-hiding code above, for
> instance, goes through
> a different (but widely-used) compiler with nary a squawk.  Compilers
> are suposed to
> translate C++ into an executable format, not act as your personal
safety
> net. You want
> that kind of safety?  Program in Ada."

Wonder if he feels more favorable towards safety nets when he's at
35,000 feet with his wife and kids?

All perfect programmers please take one step forward...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.