From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Ada, Qt & Swig
Date: 2000/10/18
Date: 2000-10-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <j6iis8.th7.ln@leia>,
  Frode =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tenneb=F8?= <frodet@nvg.org> wrote:

> Qt is a commercial product - more 'sellable' to the Ties.

I assume by Ties you mean Suits (either this is round trip
idiom, or it is an expression I did not hear before).

In fact GtkAda is a commercial product, and one that we have
found very good reaction to. If you are claiming that the
"Ties" are happier with proprietary software, all I can say
is that this is getting less and less true these days, and
the notion of selling supported Open Source Software is getting
more and more familiar and attractive to a lot of users.

Which makes sense, it is somewhat odd for purchasers to actively
prefer more restrictive licenses :-)

Also an interesting point here is that in these days of
interest in COTS, open source COTS is attractive, because
it addresses two of the major worries about COTS:

1. Being glued to one source of support
2. Being unable to change or modify the software if necessary

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies
(a company that successfully sells commercial open source
software :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.