* Re: Looking for partners for 3 proposals to the IST Programme
@ 2000-10-18  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<Pine.LNX.4.10.10010181216290.17222-100000@lexis.di.fct.unl.pt>,
  comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org wrote:
> Luna - University of the Moon
> The mission of the University of the Moon is to study and develop
> interesting things which lie outside the realm of interest and/or
> possibility of Earth universities, e.g. a non-Unix operating system.
> It takes the form of an earthly network until Luna, the Earth's
> satelite, is inhabitable: then it founds its headquarters there.
> Action lines VI.1.1, VIII.1.2
> Type of Action: thematic networks

Sounds like a bunch of lunatics to me. :-)

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Looking for partners for 3 proposals to the IST Programme
@ 2000-10-18  0:00 Mario Amado Alves
From: Mario Amado Alves @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lista-glint, fba, pg, comp.lang.ada, XML-L, filipefh, mariocaeiro

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 3349 bytes --]

Please relay to appropriate fora.

We are looking for partners from Europe and developing countries for 3
proposals to the 4th call of the Information Society Techonolgies Programme
launched by the European Commission (www.cordis.lu/ist). The proposals have
already been pre-registered with the Programme. The submission deadline is
31 October 2000. Please reply to us before 23 October 2000.

  Mário Amado Alves*, maa@di.fct.unl.pt
  Fernando Brito e Abreu*, fba@di.fct.unl.pt (IQUAL only)
  Mário Caeiro, mariocaeiro@ip.pt (Luna only)
    *Faculty of Sciences and Technology, New University of Lisbon

The 3 proposals:

OpenIST - Open Source Software Components and Tools for the Information
Society Technologies.
A wide group of researchers in programming and software engineering, and
possibly also industry software developers, will select and create software
components and tools necessary for effective software engineering and
programming in virtually all the Information Society Technologies. The main
deliverable is Version 1 of the OpenIST Software Library, with a status of
open source, and most probably free. The project spans 12 months, with
working incremental versions of the library available from the start.
Key line: 4.3.1
Type of Action: research

IQUAL (Internet Quality) - Quality Modelling for Internet Technology
The new realities of software construction in the internet age render
existing software quality models completely inadequate. Software artefacts
are now a blend of architectural issues, multimedia technology and new
human machine interaction paradigms. A framework for assessing the quality
of web-based technology is thus urgently required. The current proposal is
to research and create such a framework. Third party certification of
web-based software solutions requires it. The web marketplace would be the
final winner.
Action Lines I.3.1, IV.2..., IV.3..., V.1.4, V.1.6, VIII.1.3
Type of Action: 90% research; 10% take-up

Luna - University of the Moon
The mission of the University of the Moon is to study and develop
interesting things which lie outside the realm of interest and/or
possibility of Earth universities, e.g. a non-Unix operating system. It
takes the form of an earthly network until Luna, the Earth's satelite, is
inhabitable: then it founds its headquarters there.
Action lines VI.1.1, VIII.1.2
Type of Action: thematic networks

   *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Notes to addressees:
Doctor Gabriel Pereira Lopes: proposal OpenIST converges with your proposal
to set up a site with tools for information retrieval and NLP
experimentation by students and other associates.

Sent 2000-10-18 to:
lista-glint@pc-gpl.di.fct.unl.pt,
fba@di.fct.unl.pt,
pg@di.fct.unl.pt,
comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org,
XML-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE,
filipefh@mail.telepac.pt,
mariocaeiro@ip.pt
Cc: IST@cec.eu.int

From: Mario Amado Alves @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Ted Dennison wrote:

> In article
> <Pine.LNX.4.10.10010181216290.17222-100000@lexis.di.fct.unl.pt>,
>   comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org wrote:
> > Luna - University of the Moon
> > The mission of the University of the Moon is to study and develop
> > interesting things which lie outside the realm of interest and/or
> > possibility of Earth universities, e.g. a non-Unix operating system.
> > It takes the form of an earthly network until Luna, the Earth's
> > satelite, is inhabitable: then it founds its headquarters there.
> > Action lines VI.1.1, VIII.1.2
> > Type of Action: thematic networks
>
> Sounds like a bunch of lunatics to me. :-)

You got the message almost right, Ted: it is a bunch of lunatics looking
for others in the world and funding from the EC ;-)

Action Line VIII.1.2 is "Open Domain", which is more or less an euphemism
for lunaticity:

"The open domain ensures a seamless coverage of all Information Society
technologies by keeping the door open to any new idea, with a potential for
industrial or societal impact, in a bottom-up fashion." (The Programme)

"Objective: To nurture invention, creativity, and bright-spark ideas. It is
open to any idea that pertains to Information Society technologies, as long
as the ideas are highly innovative, and the realisation of these ideas is
either high risk or requires longer-term research." (idem)