From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: Profiler?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:01:41 -0500
Date: 2006-11-22T13:01:41-05:00	[thread overview]

Alex R. Mosteo wrote:
> Jeffrey Creem wrote:
>

>>Harald Korneliussen wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know of a good profiler for programs written in Ada?
>

>>If I try to make an assumption (and I could get this wrong) and assume
>>by Ada you mean GNAT and then assume that perhaps you mean Linux I can
>>say that gprof is actually an "ok" profiler. It is not great but it gets
>>the job done.
>

> Based in that same assumption, I've used successfully valgrind and
> kcachegrind with nice results, also for multitasking programs. Oprofile was
> in my list of things to look at that I never reached.

Thanks for the reminder. Since a lot of my work is still Sparc Solaris
based I always forget to mention valgrind.

The combination of valgrind and kacachegrind is actually quite powerful
and pr(though large programs do tend to run quite slowly under valgrind).

I also toyed with oprofile a while back and did not find it as useful
(in the case I was working with) as valgrind/kcachegrind but I did not
spend enough time with it to be sure.