* Issues with GPS on Xubuntu
@ 2010-09-09 21:10 Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2010-09-09 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.  I have recently installed GNAT GPL 2010 onto x86-64 Xubuntu.  All
is well but I do not have any compiler options under the Ada tab on the
Project Dialog.

All other tabs have switches.  Have I missed something during transition
from XP ?

I do get a warning on startup about missing libpng12.so - related ?

thanks. Martyn

* Re: Issues with GPS on Xubuntu
@ 2010-09-10  8:16 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2010-09-10  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 9, 11:10 pm, Martyn Pike <j...@somewhere.org> wrote:
> Hello.  I have recently installed GNAT GPL 2010 onto x86-64 Xubuntu.  All
> is well but I do not have any compiler options under the Ada tab on the
> Project Dialog.
>
> All other tabs have switches.  Have I missed something during transition
> from XP ?

I don't know, maybe check your $PATH as you do not normally install
GNAT GPL in the default $PATH. For this reason it is critical that you
follow the installation instructions completely and precisely.

> I do get a warning on startup about missing libpng12.so - related ?

I don't think so. That library is related to Portable Network
Graphics, not GNAT. But it might indeed indicate a problem with the
$PATH or $LD_LIBRARY_PATH that the GPS process sees.

> thanks. Martyn

<shameless plug>
Why not use the Debian packages? They come preconfigured and work
right out of the box. Check out packages gnat and gnat-gps.
</shameless plug>

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Issues with GPS on Xubuntu
@ 2010-09-10 13:36   ` Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2010-09-10 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:16:35 -0700, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

Thanks Ludovic.  Can you point me in the right direction for those Debian
packages please ?

@ 2010-09-10 19:17     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2010-09-10 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martyn Pike writes on comp.lang.ada
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:16:35 -0700, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
> Thanks Ludovic.  Can you point me in the right direction for those Debian
> packages please ?

I mentioned them because you said you were using XUbuntu, which is a
derivative of Debian.  So, the Debian packages are normally accessible
through the package manager:

$ sudo aptitude install gnat gnat-gps

For more info, see the user's guide about package management.

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Issues with GPS on Xubuntu
@ 2010-09-10 19:18     ` David Sauvage
From: David Sauvage @ 2010-09-10 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I do get a warning on startup about missing libpng12.so - related ?

In the case the libpng12.so library is missing
---------------------------

On Debian & derivatives Linux distributions, you can easily know to
what package a missing file belongs with apt-file.

$ sudo aptitude install apt-file
$ apt-file update
$ apt-file search libpng12.so
libpng12-0: /lib/libpng12.so.0
libpng12-0: /lib/libpng12.so.0.42.0
libpng12-dev: /usr/lib/libpng12.so
lsb-build-desktop3: /usr/lib/lsb3/libpng12.so
$ sudo aptitude install libpng12-dev libpng12-0

The latter command will install the libpng12-dev & libpng12-0 packages
and thus the libpng12.so missing library.
Then relaunch GPS (GNAT GPL) again to sort out if that was the
problem.

That _should_ solve your problem.

* Re: Issues with GPS on Xubuntu
@ 2010-09-10 20:02       ` Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2010-09-10 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:17:27 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Martyn Pike writes on comp.lang.ada
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:16:35 -0700, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Ludovic.  Can you point me in the right direction for those
>> Debian packages please ?
>
> I mentioned them because you said you were using XUbuntu, which is a
> derivative of Debian.  So, the Debian packages are normally accessible
> through the package manager:
>
> $ sudo aptitude install gnat gnat-gps
>
> For more info, see the user's guide about package management.
>
> HTH

Hi Ludovic.

Yes I was able to install the packages - thanks for the pointer. It
installed 4.4.3 but I still get the same issue that the Ada tab on the
switches page is empty except for what looks like space for command line
arguments to be entered.

* Re: Issues with GPS on Xubuntu
@ 2010-09-10 20:03       ` Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2010-09-10 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:18:51 -0700, David Sauvage wrote:

>> I do get a warning on startup about missing libpng12.so - related ?
>
> In the case the libpng12.so library is missing
> ---------------------------
>
> On Debian & derivatives Linux distributions, you can easily know to what
> package a missing file belongs with apt-file.
>
> $ sudo aptitude install apt-file
> $ apt-file update
> $ apt-file search libpng12.so
> libpng12-0: /lib/libpng12.so.0
> libpng12-0: /lib/libpng12.so.0.42.0
> libpng12-dev: /usr/lib/libpng12.so
> lsb-build-desktop3: /usr/lib/lsb3/libpng12.so $ sudo aptitude install
> libpng12-dev libpng12-0
>
> The latter command will install the libpng12-dev & libpng12-0 packages
> and thus the libpng12.so missing library. Then relaunch GPS (GNAT GPL)
> again to sort out if that was the problem.
>
> That _should_ solve your problem.

Thanks David. That did indeed solve the problem.

* Re: Issues with GPS on Xubuntu
@ 2010-09-10 22:21         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2010-09-10 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martyn Pike writes:
> Hi Ludovic.
>
> Yes I was able to install the packages - thanks for the pointer. It
> installed 4.4.3 but I still get the same issue that the Ada tab on the
> switches page is empty except for what looks like space for command
> line arguments to be entered.

TBH, since I don't use GPS and only had a cursory look at it, this
one-line entry box never struck me as odd until you complained about it.
IIUC, the Ada page should be full of check boxes and other nifty
widgets, right?

In addition I see this in the Messages pane:

[2010-09-10 23:26:00] Error while parsing /usr/share/gps/plug-ins/changelog.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/share/gps/plug-ins/ada_support.py", line 15, in <module>
    import os_utils, gnat_switches
ImportError: No module named gnat_switches
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/share/gps/plug-ins/gnatcheck.py", line 11, in <module>
    import GPS, os, os.path, re, string, pygtk, traceback
ImportError: No module named pygtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/share/gps/plug-ins/zoom.py", line 17, in <module>
    import pango
ImportError: No module named pango
Welcome to GPS 4.3-5+b1 (Debian) hosted on x86_64-linux-gnu
the GNAT Programming Studio
(c) 2001-2008 AdaCore

This seems like a bug in the gnat-gps package that should not be present
in the GNAT GPL 2010 binary distribution.  Was that what you meant?

Anyway I've filed a bug report and will try to find the time to correct
that.  See http://bugs.debian.org/596385

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Issues with GPS on Xubuntu
@ 2010-09-11  6:35           ` Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2010-09-11  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:21:44 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> IIUC, the Ada page should be full of check boxes and other nifty
> widgets, right?

Yes that is correct.

> This seems like a bug in the gnat-gps package that should not be present
> in the GNAT GPL 2010 binary distribution.  Was that what you meant?

Yes that is what I meant.

> Anyway I've filed a bug report and will try to find the time to correct
> that.  See http://bugs.debian.org/596385

Thanks Ludovic.