* Ada, zip and RPC
@ 2000-10-12  0:00 Daniel Wengelin
From: Daniel Wengelin @ 2000-10-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I am looking for two things.

1) The best way to implement access to a remote system using RPC in Ada.
The local system is running NT and we're currently using ObjectAda.

2) An implementation of a fast and wide spread compression algorithm in
Ada.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Rgds, Daniel

* Re: Ada, zip and RPC
@ 2000-10-12  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-10-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39E5CA04.A7A5B7F5@celsiustech.se>,
  Daniel Wengelin <dawe@celsiustech.se> wrote:

> 1) The best way to implement access to a remote system using RPC in
>    Ada.
> The local system is running NT and we're currently using ObjectAda.

Gnat has implementations for both the distributed system annex and COM
(which would be useful if your remote system is NT as well. You didn't
say). For ObjectAda, your best bet might be to try to interface to COM
directly (again, if both platforms are Windoze). It might even come with
some libraries to make this a bit easier.

> 2) An implementation of a fast and wide spread compression algorithm
> in Ada.

The only thing I know that would fit the bill here is Gautier's
UnzipAda, which implements the ZIP scheme. I haven't used it
extensively, so I can't comment on its speed. I'm not sure if it
supports compression, or just decompression. The link I have for it is
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/unzipada.htm (but I don't seem to be
getting through right now).

However, there are lots of publicly available compression libraries
written in C code, which would be trivial to link to your Ada
application.

--
T.E.D.

Day 6 of Free Europe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada, zip and RPC
@ 2000-10-13  0:00 ` gdemont
From: gdemont @ 2000-10-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Wengelin:

> 2) An implementation of a fast and wide spread compression algorithm in
> Ada.

You might consider the tiny compressor-decompressor LZHuf :
I have made a generic Ada version so you can use it in any
I/O context. For speed it depends on the package's contents
(the Huffman tree is implemented with indices, could be faster
with pointers) and the compiler's optimiser : with OA 7.1
LZHuf was terribily slow compared to GNAT. The latest OA
7.2 seems better.

For TED: Unzip-Ada only decompresses. For ZIP compression
I would interface with Info-ZIP or -better- call 7-ZIP...

Source of LZHuf there:    HTH
Gautier  --  http://members.nbci.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm