From: jpwoodruff@my-deja.com
Subject: Re: The greatest feature of the language is ....
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 05:36:57 GMT
Date: 2000-10-07T05:36:57+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <39DE967D.9861342A@acm.org>,
  Jeff Carter <jrcarter@acm.org> wrote:
> Ada's greatest feature is its excellent support for modularity,
> encapsulation, and information hiding

My vote is for the *orthogonality* of Ada's features.  This is a lot
like Jeff's vote for "support for modularity", but I mean "modularity"
of the numerous *concepts* in the language.

I can describe the proper use of generics without needing to concern
myself with inheritance; I can discuss inheritance without concern
about tasking; I can consider tasking without worrying the details of
generics.

And because Ada's language features are *orthogonal* I can combine a
solution that needs type extension into a structure that has multiple
threads that execute methods defined in different instances of some
generic package!

These orthogonal features of the language all work in simple or complex
structures.  And that's my favorite "feature" of Ada.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.