From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: gtkada/glade info needed
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 03:45:38 GMT
Date: 2000-10-02T03:45:38+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <39D76103.1D3E5503@acm.org>,
  Marin David Condic <mcondic.nospam@acm.org> wrote:

> Kind of figured out that part for myself - eventually. I can
> learn to work with whatever model they want to propose, but
> I'm just not a mindreader.

We have in general found that people can make good progress
using this technology if they work through things in the logical
order, and read the documentation carefully. You need of course
to completely familiarize yourself with Gtk+ first, that's the
first step, then follow through the GtkAda examples.

Also, one thing you *certainly* should have got from the
documentation is the proper mailing list on which to discuss
these issues, namely gtkada@gtkada.eu.org. I would suggest
that if you post polite informed technical questions there,
you may well get help (rants and raves comparing the technology
to burnt french fries may be less successful).

If indeed you perceive that some more elementary tutorial
information would be useful beyond what is there in the
documentation now, a constructive thing would be to try
to supply this missing documentation. It's nice to contribute
as well as to receive when it comes to projects like this :-)

Of course making full use of a technology like this is not
a simple matter, and we have found for example that customers
attending our one day training class on GtkAda find it very
useful. We also find that this is definitely an area in which
it is useful to have support from knowledgable folks.

Nevertheless, if you take the effort to work through the
documentation, and use the right mailing list to ask questions,
you should definitely be able to make more progress :-)

Robert Dewar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.