* Is there an installation guide for Windows GNAT?
@ 2000-09-28  0:00 John Kern
From: John Kern @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't convince myself that I have (the student version of) GNAT for
windows installed correctly.  Is the compiler meant to be simply a
command line program from the DOS prompt?  Are there any environment
variables or PATH settings needed?  I can't seem to compile the examples
programs.  AdaGide doesn't seem to be the answer (how do you tell
AdaGide where the compilers are?).  I thought I once saw a document
explaining how to get both GNAT and JGNAT concurrently installed but I
can't find it now.  I had much better luck with DJGPP but at least there
was a FAQ.  Something along the lines of "The Big Online Book of Linux
Ada Programming" ( http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/homes/book.html ) for
Windows would be just fine.

Thanks

John Kern
Visteon Corporation
Software Process Engineering (A641) - Development Tools
17000 Rotunda Drive  Dearborn MI  48121    Drop: C360
Phone:   (313) 75-53516    FAX:    (313) 75-52553
E-Mail:   jkern3@visteon.com

* Re: Is there an installation guide for Windows GNAT?
@ 2000-09-28  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39D384E4.E01FF21E@visteon.com>,
  jkern3@visteon.com wrote:
> I can't convince myself that I have (the student version of) GNAT for
> windows installed correctly.  Is the compiler meant to be simply a
> command line program from the DOS prompt?  Are there any environment
> variables or PATH settings needed?  I can't seem to compile the
> examples programs.  AdaGide doesn't seem to be the answer (how do you

What happens when you try it from the DOS prompt? Is it not finding
"gnatmake", or failing during some step of the compile? Or is it
working, but you'd rather have a GUI?

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Is there an installation guide for Windows GNAT?
@ 2000-09-28  0:00   ` John Kern
From: John Kern @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glad to.  Windows NT Server v4 SP5.  I just now executed (at home this
time) gnat-3.13p-nt.exe followed by adagide-install.exe downloaded from
its home site.  I can execute AdaGIDE and locate and open
E:\Common_Program_Files\gnat\examples\hello.adb.  When I press the
compile button, I get the message:
Compiling...
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': Invalid argument
Done--error detected.

If I were to press the build button either here or with diners.adb open
I find that I have started gnatmake but I still get that message and
perhaps a "Text_IO" is not referenced.

Was I supposed to have entered anything into Tools->GNAT options in
current directory like locations for the compilers (and assembler) or
just command line switches like the sparse online help indicates?  How
do I inform AdaGIDE to use JGNAT when I get its *path* and *environment
variables* set as indicated in its *readme* file?  Did I need to reboot?

Same symptoms on two different computers now.  Operator error?

Thanks

@ 2000-09-28  0:00     ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is something to check vs what I have (pure guesswork by me):

as.exe is in my \Gnat\Bin directory.  I think that it is installed
there by the gnat installer.  \Gnat\Bin is included in the path in
the 'system variables' part of the control panel..system..environment
screen.  I assume this was also set by the gnat installer.  Because
it is in the 'system variables' settings, I also think that you need
to have administrator privileges during the install or the path won't
get set.

IDK what happens if you wind up with a different as.exe on your path
ahead of the as.exe in the gnat\bin  directory.  I've also got cygwin
on my machine, but I use a batch file to set up the cygwin environment
when I want to use the gcc that comes with cygwin instead of the one
that comes from gnat.

Al

@ 2000-09-28  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Kern <jkern3@visteon.com> writes:

> I can't convince myself that I have (the student version of) GNAT for
> windows installed correctly.  Is the compiler meant to be simply a
> command line program from the DOS prompt?  Are there any environment
> variables or PATH settings needed?  I can't seem to compile the examples
> programs.  AdaGide doesn't seem to be the answer (how do you tell
> AdaGide where the compilers are?).  I thought I once saw a document
> explaining how to get both GNAT and JGNAT concurrently installed but I
> can't find it now.

But there is nothing to do at this point. The InstallShield package has
configured the compiler by setting the registry !

From AdaGide you should be able to compile/run your program !

@ 2000-09-29  0:00     ` Dr. Joachim Schr�er
From: Dr. Joachim Schr�er @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I had similar problems after installing gnat3.13p and adagide-6.26.
Look into the field:
    "Target Directory" in "Tools" -> "Gnat options in current directory...".
I often found funny strings there and after clearing the field gcc
and gnatmake work from adagide.

I have no idea what "Target Directory"  is good for in version 6.26.
In a former version it was a useful feature, gnat wrote all generated
files to the directory given there (.exe, .ali, .o ...)

    J. Schroer

John Kern <jkern3@CORECOMM.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
39D416E7.81FA45B5@CORECOMM.net...
> command:
> gcc -c hello.adb
> I get the message:
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': Invalid argument
>
> gcc --version
> tho, returns
> 2.8.1
>
> The command:
> make
> (after trying to run /bin/rm -f *.o ...)
> reports among other things
> make (e=3): The system cannot find the path specified
>
> gnatmake
> reports a dizzying list of options
>
> gnatmake hello
> reports the invalid argument to as
>
> as --version
> reports the FSF info and the target of `i386-pc-cygwin32'
>
> Any of this make any sense?
>
> Thanks
.

* Re: Is there an installation guide for Windows GNAT?
@ 2000-09-29  0:00   ` John Kern
From: John Kern @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier sent me a batch file which sets the PATH, ADA_INCLUDE_PATH, and
the ADA_OBJECTS_PATH which I can now run in a DOS window and
successfully
gnatmake hello
Thank you kindly.  I am now trying to get AdaGIDE to work.  Another
suggestion was to (manually) add the bin directory to the environment
thru the NT Control panel->system->environment, but I now get a message:
'Unable to start compiler, Check path environment variable, Error code
:2' when I press the compile (or build) button in AdaGIDE with hello.adb
open.  Did I need to also add ADA_OBJECTS_PATH and ADA_INCLUDE_PATH to
the environment?  How could I be the only one having these problems?
Did I need to be logged on as Administrator for the install script to
have automatically populated my environment?

@ 2000-09-29  0:00     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-09-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39D4D4F6.89CC6821@visteon.com>,
  jkern3@visteon.com wrote:
> Gautier sent me a batch file which sets the PATH, ADA_INCLUDE_PATH,
> and the ADA_OBJECTS_PATH which I can now run in a DOS window and
,,,
> open.  Did I need to also add ADA_OBJECTS_PATH and ADA_INCLUDE_PATH to
> the environment?

Since the system I'm using right now is also an NT 4 (SP5) system, I'll
check what I have....

I don't have either of those environment variables set. It looks like
some keys got added to the registry. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE there's
now a path "SOFTWARE/Ada Core Technologies/GNAT". Under that I have
"3.13p" directory with nothing in it and a "Standard Libraries"
directory with the key "WIN32" (REG_SZ type, value
"C:\GNAT\Bindings\Win32Ada"). There may be more important keys that I
didn't see though.

> How could I be the only one having these problems?

I don't think you are. I had a co-worker here (we all run NT4 here at
work) who had trouble that I remember being much like yours. We never
did figure out what the problem was. I think I had him uninstall his new
Gnat, then his *old* gnat, then reinstall the new Gnat. But it may not
have been the same problem.

> Did I need to be logged on as Administrator for the install script to
> have automatically populated my environment?

You have to be logged on as a user in the Administrator's group. )If you
don't know the difference, consider my answer a "yes").

I take it you weren't? Try uninstalling Gnat. Reboot, then check
"Add/Remove programs" in your Control Panel. If you see another version
of Gnat there, remove it and reboot again. Then log in as Administrator
(if your account doesn't have administrator privs), and run the 3.13p
installer.

(Those of you using Unix exclusively are probably laughing your heads
off by this point. I don't blame you.)

--

@ 2000-09-29  4:13   ` John Kern
From: John Kern @ 2000-09-29  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)