From: nospam@nospam
Subject: Re: urgent question to maintain the ada-language inside the enterprise
Date: 2000/09/26
Date: 2000-09-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <r58A5.6582$O7.121171@ozemail.com.au>, "Chris says...

>And it doesn't have to be one or the other. My current favorite platform is
>a dual boot PC with (NT4/W2000) and Linux. This gives the best of both
>worlds, and you only need a single box on the desk.
>
>You can use MS Office to do all the usual corporate stuff (Staroffice
>isn't quite there yet), then hit ctrl-alt-del, and you have all the good old
>Unix "pigs in mud" Makefiles, CVS, editors, shell scripts and more. I do
>most Ada programming on Linux.
>
>I see this as being a common arrangement in coming years.

Chris,

my arrangment I think is even better than yours.

I use Linux and have vmare running on it. I installed NT on vmware.

vmware is a virtual PC.  I do NOT have to reboot to use windows. I have
windows right now running inside an X window along side all my other
Linux applications.  NOt only that, using SAMBA, I have all my windows
data saved on my linux disks (easy to manage backup etc..).

It is great. The speed is not as good as when running windows native, but
for what I need it for, the speed is not that important (my hand is slow
anyway).

check it out. you can get a 30 days free trial of vmware for linux.
http://www.vmware.com

ps, this is not some sort of wine like thing, vmware runs ALL windows
applications, any one of them. you can install not only windows on the
vmware software, but any PC based OS theortically. I read that freebasd
could also be run on it. check vmware site for supported OS's.