From: "Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@callnetuk.com>
Subject: Re: Enhancement needed
Date: 2000/09/13
Date: 2000-09-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I'd be grateful if you would mention what it was that you actually wanted
your compiler to do, so I can make mine do the same. I'm always eager to
please. People seem to think that compiler writers have to be legally
coerced into doing anything; some of us will actually respond to a little
courtesy. ;-)

Personally, I find the Implementation Advice sections to be daft, from a
certain point of view (along the lines of "we recommend you design the boat
to be water resistant"). However, from another point of view, they're
wonderful, since they go some way towards telling me what my compiler should
do. It's (almost) always great to be told this, it eases the throbbing in my
poor (12-neurone) brain no end.

I think the IAs can be understood by understanding the RM95 in two lights:
(a) the political viewpoint; (b) the technical viewpoint. The IAs fall
in-between the two, where you can't _tell_ them to do something (that would
be impolitic, the people who sell boats that sink would complain), but you
can _recommend_ that they do it.

Finally, compilers are _always_ irritating. It's their role in life.
Compiler writers quite deliberately write their compilers to be as
irritating as possible. Of course they do. Sensible and useful ways of doing
things? Pah!

--
Nick Roberts
http://www.AdaOS.org

PS: For anyone asking "When's the compiler gonna be ready, Nick?", the
answer is the same old "Maybe 10 years". Sorry.