* Re: Topics of this newsgroup
       [not found]     ` <8p1ig4$c4esq$1@ID-25716.news.cis.dfn.de>
@ 2000-09-05 14:01       ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2000-09-05 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts wrote:

> I think most comp.lang.ada users would prefer not to see the kind of article
> that (directly or indirectly) incites a debate about whether one particular
> programming language is better than another. It tends to start flame wars.
> (I'm almost afraid to post _this_ message :-)

Of course only one language can be "The Best" - and we all know what that
language is, right? :-) :-) :-)

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "Take away the punchbowl just when the party gets going"

        --  William McChesney Martin, Former Fed chairman, explaining
            what a sound central bank must always do.

* Re: Topics of this newsgroup
       [not found]   ` <39B3C7B6.140A23E8@telepath.com>
       [not found]     ` <8p1ig4$c4esq$1@ID-25716.news.cis.dfn.de>
@ 2000-09-06 11:56     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-09-06 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39B3C7B6.140A23E8@telepath.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> That's good. I think it is probably eaiser to explain what is
*off* topic here.
> One thing I'd add is that questions that have to do with only
the Gnu Ada
> compiler (gnat) will likely draw fire, as there is a fairly
active mailing list
> that serves this purpose. Other than that, really *anything*
that has to do with
> Ada is fair game.

It is not that questions about GNAT will draw fire (I have not
seen that happen). It is just that a lot (maybe the majority)
of Ada knowledgable folks have abandoned CLA over the last
couple of years, but many of them still participate in the
GNAT specific mailing list [although there too, we lose good
people occasionally who get tired of junk traffic :-)] So
you have a better chance of getting informal GNAT questions
answered there. There are no guarantees of course, and the
GNAT chat list has its share of unanswered questions and
incorrect answers like any informal group or list, but in
general I think people get more help there than on CLA for
GNAT specific questions.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Topics of this newsgroup
@ 2000-09-06 18:53       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-09-06 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>It is just that a lot (maybe the majority) of Ada knowledgable
>folks have abandoned CLA over the last couple of years, but many
>of them still participate in the GNAT specific mailing list
  OTOH, if you ask non-GNAT, general Ada, questions on Dr. Dewar's
GNAT mailing list, you'll be told to go to c.l.a.  There are also
a number of Ada experts who don't happen to be GNAT users but do
show up on c.l.a.  Similarly, you should ask ObjectAda specific
questions on their mailing list, etc.  You normally will do better
to ask a question in the most appropriate place, rather than
just wherever you happen to be.  I agree that

@ 2000-09-06 20:37         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-09-06 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Towt5.171439$i5.2494212@news1.frmt1.sfba.home.com>,
  tmoran@bix.com wrote:
>   OTOH, if you ask non-GNAT, general Ada, questions on Dr.
Dewar's
> GNAT mailing list, you'll be told to go to c.l.a.

I have no idea what is being referenced here, I do not maintain
any mailing lists. My comments were with respect to the
gnat chat mailing list that is maintained by Ada Core
Technologies (which I occasionally participate in, but it
is not my list, I have not the foggiest idea how such
lists get set up, it is done by the ACT systems staff :-)

To find out more about the gnat chat list, go to the Ada Core
Technologies web site (www.gnat.com)

Robert Dewar