* getpid(), atoi(), time functions in Ada 95
@ 2000-09-06  1:27 K. Banerjee
From: K. Banerjee @ 2000-09-06  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do these Unix/C functions have corresponding functions in Ada 95? (I'll be
working on Solaris.)

Thanks.

* Re: getpid(), atoi(), time functions in Ada 95
@ 2000-09-06  3:16 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2000-09-06  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

With respect, do questions like this need, perhaps, to carry one of the
following riders?

- I am not a student.

- I am a student, but this is not part of my coursework.

- I am a student, and this is part of my coursework, but I have exhausted
every other avenue of research within my educational facility.

--
Nick Roberts
http://www.AdaOS.org

@ 2000-09-06  4:01 ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2000-09-06  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 01:27:53 GMT, K. Banerjee <kbanerje@rcn.com> wrote:
>Do these Unix/C functions have corresponding functions in Ada 95? (I'll be
>working on Solaris.)

atoi is equivelent to 'Value; most of the time functions should have
analogs in the Ada.Calender package and elsewhere in the standard library;
but getpid doesn't since it's Unix-centric. You can either wrap the C
getpid function (a moment's effort), or, if you need more extensive Unix
support, you can use Florist, an implementation of Posix.5.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.dhis.org

* Re: getpid(), atoi(), time functions in Ada 95
@ 2000-09-06 12:40   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-09-06 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8p4mqi$capp9$1@ID-25716.news.cis.dfn.de>, "Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@callnetuk.com> writes:
> With respect, do questions like this need, perhaps, to carry one of the
> following riders?
>
> - I am not a student.
>
> - I am a student, but this is not part of my coursework.
>
> - I am a student, and this is part of my coursework, but I have exhausted
> every other avenue of research within my educational facility.

I think, rather, "I have looked in the second edition of Ada for Lefties
by Author Name, in particular at chapter 25 where I would expect to find
the answer to the following question."

That gives the opportunity for feedback to the student regarding why
the choice of chapter was wrong, or the choice of book was wrong, or
even feedback to the author regarding reader expectations.

* Re: getpid(), atoi(), time functions in Ada 95
@ 2000-09-06 14:19   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-09-06 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts wrote:

> With respect, do questions like this need, perhaps, to carry one of the
> following riders?
>
> - I am not a student.

I'd say no. This wasn't a request to do the work for them. It was a requst for
information about how to go about doing the work. I'd personally have no problem
telling a student that. For instance, if the previous poster who just
regurgitated his homework assignment had added "Where would I go to find this
information?", I think he would have got a lot fewer snide responses. Instead,
he added "Does anyone know how to do this?". To me, that has an implied, "If so,
please tell me. Then I can copy your answer verbatim into my homework, turn it
in to the teacher, and get an 'A'".

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html

* Re: getpid(), atoi(), time functions in Ada 95
@ 2000-09-06 18:29     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2000-09-06 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> Nick Roberts wrote:
>
> > With respect, do questions like this need, perhaps, to carry one of the
> > following riders?
> >
> > - I am not a student.
>
> I'd say no. This wasn't a request to do the work for them. It was a requst for
> information about how to go about doing the work. I'd personally have no problem
> telling a student that. For instance, if the previous poster who just
> regurgitated his homework assignment had added "Where would I go to find this
> information?", I think he would have got a lot fewer snide responses. Instead,
> he added "Does anyone know how to do this?". To me, that has an implied, "If so,
> please tell me. Then I can copy your answer verbatim into my homework, turn it
> in to the teacher, and get an 'A'".

Ummm... Maybe my newsreader is a little out of sync. The original question I saw
was:

"Do these Unix/C functions have corresponding functions in Ada 95? (I'll be
working on Solaris.)"

Somewhere somehow this seems to have been interpreted as a student looking for
homework being done. It didn't look that way to me. Or am I missing something? It
seemed to me a fair question for someone hoping to do some programming with Ada
under Solaris.

I don't want to be unfair to anyone - it just didn't sound like a student question
to me.

Well, David Starner posted the answer, so if it is student homework, the cat is
already out of the bag. :-)

MDC

Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

    "Take away the punchbowl just when the party gets going"

        --  William McChesney Martin, Former Fed chairman, explaining
            what a sound central bank must always do.