From: dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner)
Subject: Re: ADA client/server
Date: 2000/08/21
Date: 2000-08-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:25:15 GMT, Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
>I often wonder what kind of drugs the folks at AT&T were on when they
>thought up "fork" and "exec" as good ways to do multi-tasking. Some of
>the stuff in Unix is just brilliant, while some of it is worthy for
>inclusion in INTERCAL.

Can you elaborate? I'm not very familar with multitasking, but the little
I've read about it puts heavy weight (fork) and light weight (thread)
processes as complementary tools, each having its own use.

I really don't see what you're going to replace exec with. A shell, for
example, would have to use an exec like feature. It's also useful for
calling external processes. What would be the replacement? Will it make
a trivial shell (< 100 lines of code) easier or harder to write?

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu