From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Reading/writing LPT1
Date: 2000/08/21
Date: 2000-08-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8nqkbn$dia$1@nyheter.chalmers.se>,
  "David Boman" <e8boman@etek.chalmers.se> wrote:
> I'm running Windows2000 on Intel.

Then you will have to do it the same way a C programmer would do it.
Either open up "LPT1:" as a file and use standard library IO routines
(In our case, probably Ada.Text_IO or Ada.Sequential_IO), or find and
make the corrent calls in Microsoft's Win32 facilities.

> I don't know if Windows2000 allows direct IO, I've heard that
> WinNT/Win2000 is quite strict with this but I'm not sure.

Yes it is. Either you use the Win32 API to change the settings, or you
write and install your own device driver.

Is this something that you are currently doing in Basic on this
platform, or are you trying to change languages and OS'es at the same
time?

If the former, then the easiest thing to do would be to figure out what
Win32 calls your Basic statements get mapped to. If the latter, then you
have really asked a Win2K question, not an Ada question (and thus should
probably take your question to a more appropriate newsgroup).

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.