From: "David Boman" <e8boman@etek.chalmers.se>
Subject: Re: Reading/writing LPT1
Date: 2000/08/21
Date: 2000-08-21T07:05:27+00:00	[thread overview]

>    I presume you are running under DOS or perhaps Windows xx or OS/2 or
> Linux on an Intel box?  So we will assume your hardware is the standard

I'm running Windows2000 on Intel.

> sort of LPT port for such a box, and your OS allows you direct IO
> operations to the port, as opposed to, say, a machine running the flight
> controls on a jet.  Since IO is so widely varied across different

I don't know if Windows2000 allows direct IO, I've heard that WinNT/Win2000
is quite strict with this but I'm not sure.

> systems, it's not included in the Ada standard.  Your compiler vendor,
> however, almost surely supplies a library that will do hardware level IO
> on your target platform.  If that's not the case, then you can a) link
> in appropriate subroutines written in asm or C or perhaps even Basic and
> call them from your Ada program, or b) use your compiler's
> implementation of standard package System.Machine_Code.  For handling
> the bits in, eg, the status result, either use a record representation
> clause to give names to individual bits or bit fields, or (more error
> prone) use type "mod 256" and do "and"s and "or"s.

This seems resonable, but will I not have the same problem here? Does
Windows2000 allow me to write Assemblercode thats messes around with the
hardware?

/Boman