From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: gnat question...
Date: 2000/08/11
Date: 2000-08-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8n0851$78u6@news.kvaerner.com>,
  "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com> wrote:

> gregfisher@my-deja.com wrote in message
> >Our code links >heavily between Ada and C using Ada pragmas.
> >
> >Does anyone see a problem using the GNAT GCC281 binaries when
> >linking with GCC295 compiled objects?
>
> You should seach for previous posts on this topic in this
newsgroup at
> http://www.deja.com/
>
> >Or, should we recompile GNAT binaries using GCC295?
>
> This is not supposed to work.

It definitely does NOT work, significant changes are required
to both GNAT and to GCC for GNAT to compile successfully with
GCC 2.9x. You won't get even the simplest programs running
successfully without a lot of fiddling, and to get a reliable
port, the only practical thing is to wait for the work to get
completed at Ada Core Technologies.

> I would expect that it would be a good idea to become a
> support customer

Well I certainly will not disagree with that suggestion :-) and
in fact this is typical of the sort of problem we can help
with very effectively.

> and get early access to the version of gnat
> which will use gcc 3.x or gcc.2.9x
> (don't remember which one they will be using).

But not quite for the above readon :-)
Although that might be the preferred approach in the future,
it is premature to suggest that right now, and the problem
is easily solved in the context of the current release of
GNAT Professional.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/