* Ada 95 for RTLinux?
@ 2000-07-19  0:00 DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2000-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is a freely available version of Ada 95 available for RTLinux?

SteveD

* Re: Ada 95 for RTLinux?
@ 2000-07-19  0:00 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2000-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"DuckE" <nospam_steved94@home.com> wrote in message
> Is a freely available version of Ada 95 available for RTLinux?
>
> SteveD

Sort of..There was some announcement some time back that ACT was working
with one of the RtLinux vendors to do this.
http://www.gnat.com/texts/news/news_realtimelinux.htm

 I am sure that none of the public releases have this in it yet...However if
you contact act (www.gnat.com)
they can answer on the status of it...Of course to get it you would have to
be a paying customer but you would be getting a GPL compiler so in the GNU
sense if would be free...But I suspect what you are asking is can I download
one
today with no money and for that the answer is no...

Depending on what you want to do, you may be able to get by with Gnat 3.12p
for Linux and just run it on the Rt Kernel (I suspect getting some minimal
no
runtime no tasking within the RtKernel working would not be too hard at all)

Based on past experience, I would expect that at some point in the next few
years
you will be able to get a public release of the compiler from the NYU site..

Finally, the last option would be to see if you can get someone who is a
paying
customer of ACT to give you a copy (if it is out there somewhere)..

* Re: Ada 95 for RTLinux?
@ 2000-07-20  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-07-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8l5fbq$ieo$1@pyrite.mv.net>,
  "Jeff Creem" <jcreem@atetola.mv.com> wrote:

> Depending on what you want to do, you may be able to get by with Gnat
> 3.12p for Linux and just run it on the Rt Kernel (I suspect getting
> some minimal no runtime no tasking within the RtKernel working would
> not be too hard at all)

My understanding of RTLinux was that it provides its own "real-time"
system calls for real-time routines to call. Thus you can run a standard
Linux executable on it, but it *wont* be real-time unless it is recoded
to use the real-time calls. In order to get a real-time Ada program,
you'd need to rewrite the compiler's tasking executive to use the
real-time system calls instead of the normal ones.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada 95 for RTLinux?
@ 2000-07-20  0:00     ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2000-07-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
> In article <8l5fbq$ieo$1@pyrite.mv.net>,
>   "Jeff Creem" <jcreem@atetola.mv.com> wrote:
> >
> > Depending on what you want to do, you may be able to get by with Gnat
> > 3.12p for Linux and just run it on the Rt Kernel (I suspect getting
> > some minimal no runtime no tasking within the RtKernel working would
> > not be too hard at all)
>

> My understanding of RTLinux was that it provides its own "real-time"
> system calls for real-time routines to call. Thus you can run a standard
> Linux executable on it, but it *wont* be real-time unless it is recoded
> to use the real-time calls. In order to get a real-time Ada program,
> you'd need to rewrite the compiler's tasking executive to use the
> real-time system calls instead of the normal ones.

Exactly..What I was hinting at here is two separate things.
The first being that you could run Ada apps on a Rt Kernel (for the non real
time
stuff)..The second being that I think it would not be too tough to either
build
or use the exising GNAT linux in a no tasking mode tied directly into the
kernel
(sort of the way a C programmer would do it).

Depending on your problem, it may be that only a small portion is really
Real-time
and thus the need for tasking might be overkill..
Having said all of that the only reason I would even recommend it of course
is
that at the moment, it is the only freely available approach I am aware of.