From: colvert@fly.hiwaay.net. (colvert)
Subject: Re: Static linking of GNAT library
Date: 2000/08/30
Date: 2000-08-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Greetings all,

I thought I would post a follow-up concerning my problem. After working
with my assigned SG engineer, we were able to determine that there is a
bug in the linking process of the SG Ada 95 compiler. I was able to
statically link the GNAT archive library into my executable, but for
some reason the executable also contained an additional (and unused)
reference to the GNAT dynamically shared object library. So, when the
runtime linker (rld) began to load the executable, it could not resolve
the GNAT DSO reference and raised an error. I really want to thank Rick
Avila at SGI for his hard work and help.

As far as my "sales pitch" comment goes, I guess I was unjustifiably
hard on Robert Dewar and ACT. It was my belief that my company would be
"supported" since we had purchased the SG compiler (which was built by
ACT). I was under a lot of pressure with a delivery deadline looming
over me. I needed answers immediately. It was unfair of me to portray
ACT and Robert Dewar in a negative fashion. I understand their position
now and I am sorry for being short sighted.

I hope Robert will accept my apology for my rash words and bad
attitude. He has been very professional in all of this and I wish I
could say the same for me.

I would also like to thank everyone in the Ada community who offered
help with this issue.

Sincerely,
Paul Colvert