* 'Open' on WinNT and Win95
@ 2000-06-05  0:00 NANCY HEHIR
From: NANCY HEHIR @ 2000-06-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone tell me why the command

Open(Target_File,Append_Mode,"COM1");

runs successfully on WinNT platform but raises a Device_Error when run on a
Win95 platform ?

* Re: 'Open' on WinNT and Win95
@ 2000-06-05  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-06-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <YVT_4.1105$v4.555@news.indigo.ie>,
  "NANCY HEHIR" <nanceh.ennis@tinet.ie> wrote:
> Open(Target_File,Append_Mode,"COM1");
>
> runs successfully on WinNT platform but raises a Device_Error when run
> on a Win95 platform ?

Does that Win95 platform actually have a working "COM1"? Try hooking
some other device to it and addressing that device with that name. My
Win98 machine at home often doesn't have the COM ports setup working
properly unless I tweak things. This is particularly an issue if you are
using a lot of IRQs (eg: using a PS/2 mouse),

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: 'Open' on WinNT and Win95
@ 2000-06-06  0:00 ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 2000-06-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

NANCY HEHIR wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why the command
>
> Open(Target_File,Append_Mode,"COM1");
>
> runs successfully on WinNT platform but raises a Device_Error when run on a
> Win95 platform ?

That would probably be because WinNT is a "real" operating system and
Win95 is a "toy" operating system - or the first computer virus to come
complete with a GUI interface. :-)

If you're trying to write to the COM1 port, you might try checking to
see if possibly something else has control of it while you're trying to
open it. Check out Win32api documentation on the CreateFile call for
insight as to how the system really connects to something like the COM
port. (I've got "Win32 System Services" by Marshall Brain and frequently
find it invaluable.) You might also check out the compiler documentation
to see if they say anything about using the "Form" parameter to the Open
command. You may be able to specify additional access control
information.

Or you might check to see if the device connected to COM1 is broke?

MDC
Marin David Condic - Quadrus Corporation - http://www.quadruscorp.com/
Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m
Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"Some people think programming Windows is like nailing jello to the
ceiling... easy with the right kind of nails."

    --  Ivor Horton - Beginning Visual C++ 6