From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: huge executable
Date: 2000/05/14
Date: 2000-05-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <shtc8b85je440@corp.supernews.com>,
  "Randy" <randypugh@redshift.com> wrote:

> The GNAT Ada compiler embeds code for the "Runtime
> Environment" (RTE) with every program.

Note that this is true by default on some targets, and false
by default on some targets (where dynamic libraries are the
default, e.g. SGI), and on some targets, the user can choose
whether to use static or dynamic linking.

On OS/2, where the question originates, the default is to
link statically, but OS/2 most certainly supports dynamic
linking, so it would be possible to build the GNAT runtime
as a dynamic shared library (although we do not provide this
by default).

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/