From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Ada syntax checker: Help!
Date: 2000/05/12
Date: 2000-05-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8fgfng$9ru$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8fc93f$jgg$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   unix_boy@my-deja.com wrote:
> >      Can someone point me to a commercial ada95
> > syntax checker?  I am a non-programmer sysadmin
> > that has been tasked with purchasing a package
> > that will run on Win95/98.  All I need is syntax
> > checking.  I can't use freeware due to the way
> > this particular contract is written.  Help!  :O(
>
> One day I should update my Ada 83 syntax checker, DASC
> which is part of the commercial package of Dewar utilities
> (haven't sold a copy for a while :-)

So by "syntax checker" here, do you just mean verifying that the file
can be properly tokenized? Or does this tool verify that it parses OK
too?

The first can quite easily be done for Ada95 and Java using OpenToken.
( http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/OpenToken/OpenToken.html ) It
comes with syntaxes designed for doing just that. And its compatable
with practicaly all commercial uses, as long as you don't require paid
support (althogh that could probably be arranged too...)

I dobut it is even a twentieth as fast as your checker hand-coded in x86
assebly though. Speed was not its primary goal, and noone has yet
bothered to try to optimize the source any. But if you were to try it on
the same sources, I'd be interested in the exact results.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.