From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Ada syntax checker: Help!
Date: 2000/05/12
Date: 2000-05-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8fc93f$jgg$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  unix_boy@my-deja.com wrote:
>      Can someone point me to a commercial ada95
> syntax checker?  I am a non-programmer sysadmin
> that has been tasked with purchasing a package
> that will run on Win95/98.  All I need is syntax
> checking.  I can't use freeware due to the way
> this particular contract is written.  Help!  :O(

One day I should update my Ada 83 syntax checker, DASC
which is part of the commercial package of Dewar utilities
(haven't sold a copy for a while :-)

DASC performs full checking of Ada 83 syntax, stopping at
the first error with a reasonable error message. It is
about 12K bytes long, total, in x86 assembly language,
and runs at well over a million lines a minute on a 386.

I have not run it in a while on a faster machine, wait a
moment, let me do that in another window ......

OK, I made a one million line Ada source program of fairly
typical code, and syntax checked it on my 300MHz notebook,
it took under four seconds.

I would guess that on a decent fast PC, DASC is syntax
checking at approximately 40-60 million lines a minute.

No reason to think that it would be significantly slower in
Ada 95. It's surprising what you can do in efficient assembly
language :-)

Robert Dewar

P.S. I agree with the previous response, first check the exact
reason you need to use commercial software, by which I take it
to mean that you want to spend $$$$. Certainly I have no
objection to you spending $$$$ and indeed we will be happy to
provide you appropriate commercial technology here. If the
issue is that you need supported software, then this is
perfectly reasonable, and makes sense. Perhaps you can give
us a better idea of the requirements and environment here
behind this request.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.