From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Ada syntax checker: Help!
Date: 2000/05/10
Date: 2000-05-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8fc93f$jgg$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  unix_boy@my-deja.com wrote:
>      Can someone point me to a commercial ada95
> syntax checker?  I am a non-programmer sysadmin
> that has been tasked with purchasing a package
> that will run on Win95/98.  All I need is syntax
> checking.  I can't use freeware due to the way
> this particular contract is written.  Help!  :O(

If you *must* purchase something, you might as well get a compiler, as
they aren't that expensive on Win32 platforms.

"syntax checker" is a bit vague too. For instance, there are lots
of tools out there that can recognize a file full of valid Ada
tokens. If you want to parse it to make sure it matches Ada's
grammar, that's a bit more work. If you want to ensure that it
will successfully compile, then you'd pretty much need a
compiler. But then, depending on what your setup is and what you
plan on doing with it, you might just need an the ASIS support of
a conforming compiler. Perhaps you should give a bit more detail on why
you think you only need a "syntax checker".

Also, I'd double check your contract wording. Including standalone GPL
programs in a commercial product is no problem at all, as long as you
don't try to modify the GPL program itself (and refuse to provide the
source of your modifications freely). What you can't typically do is
combine free software source and non-free source in the same executable.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.