From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Ada on Mac
Date: 2000/05/09
Date: 2000-05-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8f8glb$dh4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  don_harrison@my-deja.com wrote:
> Is there a free (or close to free) Ada95 compiler for Mac G3s
(iMac)?
> If so, does it provide a Toolbox library?

The two Ada 95 possibilities on the MAC so far are

1. GNAT, which runs under Machten. This is the full GNAT system,
although it is volunteer port, not one that is supported by
Ada Core Technologies. Probably Jim Hopper will post some follow
up information.

2. Applet Magic from Averstar, which provides a subset
implementation based on the JVM. I don't know the status of
this, so perhaps Tucker can fill in here.

An interesting possibility for the future is JGNAT, which is
a more complete implementation of Ada 95 for the JVM, and
getting more complete every day (we are definitely aiming to
validate this system). There is no conceptual reason why
JGNAT should not run on a MAC, though I don't know of anyone
who has tried this port yet.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/