* ada linux installation guide from source code
@ 2000-05-03  0:00 ANTHONY GAIR
From: ANTHONY GAIR @ 2000-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone understand the installation of ada in such a good way to write a
guide for it.

Does one exist ?

I would dearly like one .....

Are ADA and linux a good combination :-
www.remotely.useful.com

* Re: ada linux installation guide from source code
@ 2000-05-04  0:00 ` Gisle S�lensminde
From: Gisle S�lensminde @ 2000-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20000503162819.16266.00001153@ng-cm1.aol.com>, ANTHONY GAIR wrote:

>Does anyone understand the installation of ada in such a good way to write a
>guide for it.
>
>Does one exist ?
>
>I would dearly like one .....

In the source distibution of gnat there are build instructions.
There are a number of steps to follow, but if you follow these
steps carefully it works quite well. Gnat is written in gnat-specific
Ada, and you must have gnat installed already to compile from sources.
This means you must start with a binary version of gnat first time.

>Are ADA and linux a good combination :-
>www.remotely.useful.com

Linux on x86 is in fact one of the well-supported platorms

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies

* Re: Not meaning to stir the pot but make a point ......
@ 2000-05-05  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20000505001926.15502.00000946@ng-fm1.aol.com>,
  anthonygair@aol.comremoveme (ANTHONY GAIR) wrote:

> If GNAT ADA is easy to install on Linux then if I can build
PCs, install a
> linux server network, write huge ADA programs then how come I
have problems
> installing it.

I would guess you are doing something wrong. For instance
a typical mistake is to take a distribution whose readme
file clearly says it is for Redhat 5, and try to install
it on Redhat 6.

Years of experience in building PC's, installing server
networks, writing huge Ada (please note spelling) programs
etc are NOT, in our experience, a guaranteed vaccine that
ensures you are immune to the disease of making such
mistakes :-)

I suggest you tell people EXACTLY what you are trying to
do and then maybe someone can help. They are even more
likely to help if you post this in an approrpriate forum
dedicated to GNAT problems rather than CLA!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Not meaning to stir the pot but make a point ......
@ 2000-05-05  0:00   ` ANTHONY GAIR
From: ANTHONY GAIR @ 2000-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If GNAT ADA is easy to install on Linux then if I can build PCs, install a
linux server network, write huge ADA programs then how come I have problems
installing it.
Is it hard to see lots of other people must have problems ?
I followed the instructions and still get segmentation faults every time I
start up a task.................

@ 2000-05-05  0:00     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05 May 2000 04:19:26 GMT, ANTHONY GAIR wrote:

>If GNAT ADA is easy to install on Linux then if I can build PCs, install a
>linux server network, write huge ADA programs then how come I have problems
>installing it.
>Is it hard to see lots of other people must have problems ?
>I followed the instructions and still get segmentation faults every time I
>start up a task.................

What instructions have been following?
What have you installed?
What are you trying to run?
Have you tested the examples with tasking in gtkada?

Could you please answer the questions above so it is a bit easier to
understand were your problem is?

--
Preben Randhol -- [randhol@pvv.org] -- <http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/>
         "Det eneste trygge stedet i verden er inne i en fortelling."

* Re: Not meaning to stir the pot but make a point ......
@ 2000-05-05  0:00     ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2000-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ANTHONY GAIR wrote:

> If GNAT ADA is easy to install on Linux then if I can build PCs, install a
> linux server network, write huge ADA programs then how come I have problems
> installing it.

If you have an RPM-based Linux system, it is trivially easy to install GNAT
using the RPMs at http://www.gnuada.org/alt.html.

BTW, segfaults may not reflect a bad installation.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: Not meaning to stir the pot but make a point ......
@ 2000-05-08  0:00       ` Yak Boy
From: Yak Boy @ 2000-05-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you have an RPM-based Linux system, it is trivially easy to install
GNAT
> using the RPMs at http://www.gnuada.org/alt.html.

I agree, having just downloaded the RPM, admittedly slightly larger than I'd
prefer (about 10Meg for Redhat 6), but it installed in about 3 minutes with
no dramas and I had a program reading from files soon after. Sure beats
trying to re-compile the source code and I'd suggest if anyone is thinking
of going down the same road just spend more time downloading, it's worth it.