From: "Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen.adalog@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: wanted: Ada diff tool
Date: 2000/05/04
Date: 2000-05-04T08:54:36+00:00	[thread overview]

james hopper <nospam@nospam.com> a �crit dans le message :
030520002201489719%nospam@nospam.com...
> In article <8eot2o$kbm$1@wanadoo.fr>, Jean-Pierre Rosen
> <rosen.adalog@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Adalog's component page (http://pro.wanadoo.fr/adalog/compo2.htm),
you'll
> > find a small utility called Normalize that processes an Ada source and
> > removes comments, unnecessary spaces, and turns the whole text (except
> > strings) upper-case. This is precisely intended to make a diff on the
> > "semantic" part of the program. FWIW....
> >
> > (I wrote this because of a lengthy discussion on this topic here some
times
> > ago. It turned out that it was faster to write the utility than to
discuss
> > about its desirability ;-)
>
> i looke dat it and its good as far as it goes, but it doent handle the
> case where lines with embedded carrage control.  if you change the
> formatting on lines it won't do a true diff. to make this a true
> normalize it needs to convert every ada statement into a single line.

Yes, I wanted the output to be somehow readable, and the line structure is
kept. This could be changed by flushing the output buffer appropriately. If
you want to make the modification (maybe on a command line option), feel
free to do it (the whole program is 200- lines long, including comments),
and I'd be happy to accept the modifications. Sorry, I'm a bit to busy
currently to do it myself now. (Maybe if I have a couple of minutes next
time I take the Eurostar).

           J-P. Rosen (Rosen.Adalog@wanadoo.fr)
Visit Adalog's web site at http://pro.wanadoo.fr/adalog