* X Motif in Gnat Ada Application
@ 2000-05-02  0:00 Paul Crafts
From: Paul Crafts @ 2000-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone else out there using the following combo Gnat Ada/Solaris/Motif?

I'm using a multi-task application with the above and it is simply not
reliable
enough, falls over on callbacks and various redraw freezes.

I have other single task X window applications which work fine so I assume
it's
the multi task that's breaking things.

Does anyone have any advice on multi-task X window apps under Gnat Ada.

Thanks

* Re: X Motif in Gnat Ada Application
@ 2000-05-02  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <PfHP4.5158$Px3.143079@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
  "Paul Crafts" <paul.crafts@virgin.net> wrote:
> Anyone else out there using the following combo Gnat Ada/Solaris/Motif?
>
> I'm using a multi-task application with the above and it is simply not
> reliable
> enough, falls over on callbacks and various redraw freezes.
>
> I have other single task X window applications which work fine so I assume

I don't know if its any better today, but back in the paleozoic era when
I was doing Motif work, it was definitely *not* thread/task safe. If you
wanted to use Motif with multitasking programs, you had to be sure that
only one task actually made all the X/Motif calls; sort of a Motif server.

There are some Ada bindings out there that implement the "Motif server"
transparently for you. But I don't think there are any free ones.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: X Motif in Gnat Ada Application
@ 2000-05-02  0:00 ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2000-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anyone have any advice on multi-task X window apps under Gnat Ada.

There is an X-server available which is allegedly:

- written entirely in Ada 95
- fully re-entrant, i.e., task safe
- X11R6-compliant

I have no clue about its cost or its quality.  I do know I filled out
their request-for-more-info form at least twice and never heard from
them.

http://www.topgraphx.com/

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: X Motif in Gnat Ada Application
@ 2000-05-02  0:00   ` Stanley R. Allen
From: Stanley R. Allen @ 2000-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> I don't know if its any better today, but back in the paleozoic era when
> I was doing Motif work, it was definitely *not* thread/task safe. If you
> wanted to use Motif with multitasking programs, you had to be sure that
> only one task actually made all the X/Motif calls; sort of a Motif server.

My understanding is that "thread safety" was the major feature
which distinguished X11R6 -- the final revision of X.

--
Stanley Allen
mailto:Stanley_R_Allen-NR@raytheon.com

* Re: X Motif in Gnat Ada Application
@ 2000-05-02  0:00     ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2000-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stanley R. Allen <Stanley_R_Allen-NR@raytheon.com> wrote in message
> Ted Dennison wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if its any better today, but back in the paleozoic era when
> > I was doing Motif work, it was definitely *not* thread/task safe. If you
> > wanted to use Motif with multitasking programs, you had to be sure that
> > only one task actually made all the X/Motif calls; sort of a Motif
server.

> My understanding is that "thread safety" was the major feature
> which distinguished X11R6 -- the final revision of X.
>
> --
> Stanley Allen
> mailto:Stanley_R_Allen-NR@raytheon.com

It is true that X CAN be built so that it is thread safe, however Motif is
still not
thread safe. This does not mean that you can not use tasks but you need to
make sure only
one task ever directly interacts with the GUI...I bit of a pain...

* Re: X Motif in Gnat Ada Application
@ 2000-05-03  0:00     ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2000-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > http://www.topgraphx.com/
> >
> I don't think this is an X *server*, it's a rewriting of the X-lib, so it's
> more an X *client*.

I thought they had claimed it was an X-server,
but I read the Web page more carefully and you are correct.

--

@ 2000-05-03  0:00   ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2000-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)