* GNAT 3.15a compiler available?
@ 2006-08-09 18:16 AskeyAJ
From: AskeyAJ @ 2006-08-09 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.  I have some object files and ALI files that I need to bind/link
into some code I've written (I don't have the source code).  The legacy
ALI files show the version at 3.15a.  I found a 3.15p version last
night but I get an error message that the ALI files are not compatible
when doing a gnatbind.  Two possibities I see.

1) a work around - anyone know one?

2) find 3.15a on the net for free - anyone know of a link to this?  I
googled 3.15a but can't find much.  Finding 3.15p was easy.

Or anyone know of another option - besides recompiling the legacy code
- because I don't have access to this.

Thanx.
Andy Askey
askeyaj@gmail.com

* Re: GNAT 3.15a compiler available?
@ 2006-08-09 18:50 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-08-09 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

AskeyAJ writes:
> Hello.  I have some object files and ALI files that I need to bind/link
> into some code I've written (I don't have the source code).  The legacy
> ALI files show the version at 3.15a.  I found a 3.15p version last
> night but I get an error message that the ALI files are not compatible
> when doing a gnatbind.  Two possibities I see.
>
> 1) a work around - anyone know one?

Change the first line of each .ali file to:

V "GNAT Lib v3.15"

There is no guarantee that that'll work, though, because the .ali
files also contain the checksums of source files from the GNAT 3.15a
runtime library.

> 2) find 3.15a on the net for free - anyone know of a link to this?  I
> googled 3.15a but can't find much.  Finding 3.15p was easy.

3.15a was a GNAT Pro release; it is not available "for free", but,
since it is licensed under the GPL, it is "Free Software".  Therefore,
whoever gave you the .ali and .o files has the right to also give you
GNAT 3.15a.

This is a very old version; you can also contact AdaCore and ask them
for a copy, but there is no guarantee they'll grant your request.  See
http://www.adacore.com.

> Or anyone know of another option - besides recompiling the legacy code
> - because I don't have access to this.

Ask whoever gave you the .ali and .o files to recompile with GNAT
3.15p (or GCC 3.4 or 4.1) and give you the resulting .ali and .o
files?  Or, if you can lure them into using GNAT GPL Edition for that,
then they will *have* to provide you the sources :) :) :)

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GNAT 3.15a compiler available?
@ 2006-08-09 22:08   ` AskeyAJ
From: AskeyAJ @ 2006-08-09 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic,

Thanx for the ideas.  I changed the text but that didn't work.  I am
working on some of the other solutions you suggested.

Thanx again.
Andy

@ 2006-08-11 20:39 ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2006-08-11 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Is this of any use- seems to have GNAT3-15p for Windows.

Frank

* Re: GNAT 3.15a compiler available?
@ 2006-08-11 20:40   ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2006-08-11 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now even with the link included :-D

http://www.etse.urv.es/~sgomez/ada/#Gnat

@ 2006-08-14 13:29     ` AskeyAJ
From: AskeyAJ @ 2006-08-14 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank,

Thanx for the link.  We are considering moving from Linux to Windows
for this project so your links will be useful.

Andy

@ 2006-08-14 18:18       ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2006-08-14 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, just found more stuff.

ftp://ftp.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/Ada-Belgium/mirrors/gnu-ada/3.15p/

Frank

* Re: GNAT 3.15a compiler available?
@ 2006-08-14 22:35         ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2006-08-14 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank wrote:
> Hi, just found more stuff.
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/Ada-Belgium/mirrors/gnu-ada/3.15p/
>
> Frank

Also of course the GNUAda project has the old binarys for quite a few
3.15p targets.
(gnuada.sf.net)