* Ada Photograph
@ 2000-04-17  0:00 Jeff Susanj
From: Jeff Susanj @ 2000-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Back when I was learning Ada 83 I saw a book with an actual photograph of
Ada.  She didn't look nearly as good as the drawing on the cover of the book
by J.G.P Barnes.  However, I have gone back looking for this picture and I
haven't been able to find it.  Does anyone know what book it was in or where
else it might be available (maybe the web)?

Jeff S.

* Re: Ada Photograph
@ 2000-04-17  0:00 ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2000-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Susanj <jeffrey.l.susanj@boeing.com> wrote:
> Back when I was learning Ada 83 I saw a book with an actual photograph
> of Ada.  She didn't look nearly as good as the drawing on the cover of
> the book by J.G.P Barnes.  [...]  Does anyone know what book it was in
> or where else it might be available (maybe the web)?

Check out
  The Ada Picture Gallery
  http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/pictures.html
on the Ada-Belgium web-server.

You may be looking for the third picture in the "Ada, Countess of
Lovelace" section there.  As mentioned on that page, this is probably
the original portrait of Ada that was hanging at the offices of John
Murray, the London publishing company, and was used to produce the
artwork on John Barnes' book "Programming in Ada", 2nd edition.

A (bad) scan of the portrait is available as a link from the above-
mentioned Ada Picture Gallery, or directly as
  http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/.image/ada2.gif

Hope this helps.

Dirk (Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.ac.be for Ada-Belgium e-mail)

PS: By the way, if anyone has other Ada-related pictures that you would
like to see included on this page, feel free to contact me.

--
Dirk Craeynest           | Email Dirk.Craeynest@offis.be | Ada-Belgium
OFFIS nv/sa              | Phone +32(2)725.40.25         | Ada-Europe

+-------------/ E-mail: ada-belgium-board@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
|Ada-Belgium /     WWW: http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/
|on Internet/      FTP: ftp://ftp.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/Ada-Belgium
+----------/ Mail-list: ada-belgium-info-request@cs.kuleuven.ac.be

*** Intl. Conference on Reliable Software Technologies - Ada-Europe'2000
*** June 26-30, 2000, Potsdam, Germany ** http://www.ada-europe.org/ ***

* Re: Ada Photograph
@ 2000-04-18  0:00 ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2000-04-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Portability and style in Ada," by John Nissen and Peter Wallis (1984,  ISBN
0 521 26482 0) has a poor-quality reproduction of the photograph at
http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/.image/ada3.gif on its front
and back covers, in green and black.

On the other hand, "Ada: An Introduction (2nd Edition)" by Henry Ledgard
(1983, ISBN 0 387 90814 5) has a much-better (near-photograph) version of
the drawing at http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/.image/ada.gif
in silver and black on its cover.

"Jeff Susanj" <jeffrey.l.susanj@boeing.com> wrote in message
> Back when I was learning Ada 83 I saw a book with an actual photograph of
> Ada.  She didn't look nearly as good as the drawing on the cover of the
book
> by J.G.P Barnes.  However, I have gone back looking for this picture and I
> haven't been able to find it.  Does anyone know what book it was in or
where
> else it might be available (maybe the web)?
>

> Jeff S.

* Re: Ada Photograph
@ 2000-04-20  0:00 ` carlo.aventuriero
From: carlo.aventuriero @ 2000-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)