From: nma124@hotmail.com (steve_H)
Subject: Re: Who said strong typing is a benefit?
Date: 13 Oct 2002 12:53:54 -0700
Date: 2002-10-13T19:53:54+00:00	[thread overview]

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote in message news:<87lm52eaa9.fsf@deneb.enyo.de>...
> Jim Rogers <jimmaureenrogers@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
> > My favorite response to this kind of question is "what will Matlab do
> > when you take the square root of a string?"
>
> >> sqrt ('@Q')
>
> ans =
>
>      8     9
>

> Ugh.  Consistent, but useless.

When not sure if the variable is string or not, use:

"� help ischar

 ISCHAR  True for character array (string).
    ISCHAR(S) returns 1 if S is a character array and 0 otherwise.

    See also CHAR."

When using anything other than the basic data type in matlab (which is
a double), then things do not look so pretty any more. But almost
everything in matlab is a double (ok, except strings). from the simple
loop counter variable to the 20 MB sparse matrix to the index into an
array of only 5 elements, they are all of type double as default.