* Re: Clearscreen?
@ 2000-04-13  0:00 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2000-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

SPick60809 wrote in message <20000412234637.25772.00001239@ng-fk1.aol.com>...
>Hi
>
>Simple question I hope :-)
>I am working on a basic banking system, with various menus and need to be able
>to clear the screen to avoid clutter and confusion. I'm familiar with Clscr;
in
>Pascal but cannot find the Ada option.

I assume that you are using Gnat and a console window either on windows or
linux/unix. Take a look at http://www.adapower.com/ and look for a suitable
console i/o package for your operating system. If you don't find one there,
take a look at Michael Feldmans example code (start searching at
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/cs1book).  He has a simple console I/O
package somewhere which probably does what you want.

If you cannot find anything, then you can write your own. This may be more
trouble than it is worth. Find a guide to vt100/vt220/vt320/vt420/vt520 escape
sequences either in a local library or on the net and start writing. Remember
you have to flush the output every time you need to syncronize your program
with the screen.

If you don't like the ada i/o library, write your own stuff by creating your
own binding to a convenient C library. The routines you probably want to use
are read() and write(). You should possibly also have a look at creat(),
open(), ioctl() and fcntl(). There might be problems synchronising I/O from
this stuff and your ordinary text io stuff.

Greetings,

* Re: Clearscreen?
@ 2000-04-13  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8d48oj$62r3@ftp.kvaerner.com>,
  "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com> wrote:

> SPick60809 wrote in message

> >to clear the screen to avoid clutter and confusion. I'm familiar with
> ...look for a suitable console i/o package for your operating system.
> If you don't find one there, take a look at Michael Feldmans example
> If you cannot find anything, then you can write your own.
> ... Find a guide to vt100/vt220/vt320/vt420/vt520 escape sequences
> If you don't like the ada i/o library, write your own stuff by
> creating your own binding to a convenient C library.

This is all very complicated. If your needs are simple and you don't
need cursor positioning or anything else sexy like that, why not just
perform a number of Ada.Text.Put_Line's equal to the number of lines on
the user's screen (usually 24 or 25)?

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Clearscreen?
@ 2000-04-13  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2000-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Simple question I hope :-)
> I am working on a basic banking system, with various menus and need to be
able
> to clear the screen to avoid clutter and confusion. I'm familiar with
Clscr; in
> Pascal but cannot find the Ada option.

If you happen to use some flavor of windows, you will probably like the
NT_Console package that is on my homepage. The demo is at least
banking related :-)

--
--  Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
--  Team-Ada        | web:   stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk

* Clearscreen?
@ 2000-04-13  0:00 SPick60809
From: SPick60809 @ 2000-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Simple question I hope :-)
I am working on a basic banking system, with various menus and need to be able
to clear the screen to avoid clutter and confusion. I'm familiar with Clscr; in
Pascal but cannot find the Ada option.

Thanx in advance.
Sean

* Re: Clearscreen?
@ 2000-04-13  0:00 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2000-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

SPick60809 wrote:

> Simple question I hope :-)
> I am working on a basic banking system, with various menus and need to be able
> to clear the screen to avoid clutter and confusion. I'm familiar with Clscr; in
> Pascal but cannot find the Ada option.

You have Clrscr in CRT unit of Turbo Pascal, not in standard Pascal; it is the same
for Ada. However such procedures (Clrscr, GotoXY, PutXY, etc.) do abund for each
compiler-OS pair, provided the terminal supports moving around in the screen...
Which compiler and system are you using ?

Gautier  --  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm