From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Take controll of the assignment operator
Date: 2000/04/12
Date: 2000-04-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <38F437C5.D525C847@newtec.de>,
  Rainer Aigner <aigner@newtec.de> wrote:
> And I want to make sure, that a read with the 8-bit type is
> performed by a "load byte", and the 16-bit type by a "load
> halfword" assembler statement.

There is absolutely NOTHING in the RM, or anywhere else that
would imply it is appropriate to expect this usage of
instructions, and there is nothing wrong in a compiler that
does not follow this expectation, and there is no way to
insist that the compiler follow this expectation.

If your code depends on this, then the ONLY legitimate way
to achieve this is to write machine language insertions
or instrinsics that generate the instructions you need.
Any other solution is incorrect, and may cause significant
difficulties in porting the application to another compiler
or to another system.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.