* Re: Gnat IDE for Unix/Linux
@ 2000-04-06  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <38ECBE50.A51DC157@arlut.utexas.edu>,
  Eric Bresie <bresie@arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:

> I am curious if the GNAT IDE has been ported to the Linux
> world?

The GNAT IDE is called GLIDE, and it has indeed been ported
to Linux. This will be available in the public release of
3.12p sometime in the fairly near future.

If you are talking about AdaGIDE, this is not *the* GNAT IDE,
but rather a very useful IDE for student use written by Martin
Carlisle specifically for NT/Win9x, and as far as I know has
not been ported to Linux.

> I have been using emac so it's not as big of a deal, but it
> would be nice to use the IDE that I learned Ada on..

Then you definitely are talking about AdaGIDE, and you will
have to correspond with Martin Carlisle on this issue. ACT
will be investing its IDE efforts solely on GLIDE. Since
GLIDE uses Ada mode EMACS as its editing base, you should
find this easy to use.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Gnat IDE for Unix/Linux
@ 2000-04-06  0:00 ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2000-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is a unix version of this IDE that works with GNAT:

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/

Al

* Gnat IDE for Unix/Linux
@ 2000-04-06  0:00 Eric Bresie
From: Eric Bresie @ 2000-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was learning Ada in a windows environment, but the actual development
platform is a linux workstation.

I am curious if the GNAT IDE has been ported to the Linux world?

I have been using emac so it's not as big of a deal, but it would be
nice to use the IDE that I learned Ada on..

Eric Bresie
ebresie@Usa.net

* Re: Gnat IDE for Unix/Linux
@ 2000-04-07  0:00     ` ebresie
From: ebresie @ 2000-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8ckg2s$ak5$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <38ECEF86.161D368D@easystreet.com>,
>   Al Christians <achrist@easystreet.com> wrote:
>
> > There is a unix version of this IDE that works with GNAT:
> >
> > http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/
>
> Indeed there are several IDE's for GNAT developed by various
> third parties, but it is in fact clear from the message that
> what was being asked for was AdaGIDE for Linux, which as
> far as I know does not exist. As I mentioned before, as
> far as we are concerned *the* IDE for GNAT is GLIDE :-)

I was talking about "Ada GUI IDE" found on the Windows..but apparently
not for Linux...

I have been finding the transition not as hard, now that I am more
familiar with Emacs...

> A version of GLIDE will be available with the Linux 3.13p
> release.

Now I have to look into GLIDE...

> Of course, the fact that we supply and support one particular
> IDE does not at all preclude the use or existance of others
> (the compiler is open to such technologies rather than being
> closed), and we definitely encourage people to look around to
> see what is available. Grasp is well worth a look!

Certinly don't want to start an IDE war... :-)

@ 2000-04-07  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-04-07  0:00   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)