From: Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: DII COE bars Ada -> Java compilation
Date: 2000/04/07
Date: 2000-04-07T00:41:02+00:00	[thread overview]

The DII policy is actually rather amusing.  I doubt anyone there
is technically astute enough to invent this policy.  Rather, they
were probably coached by someone from Sun or Microsoft.  I can
imagine a scenario where someone from Sun, having discovered an
Ada intruder, calls aside one of the managers and warns him/her
of the potential for danger from this non-Java compiler.  We have
certainly seen other efforts to sabotage Ada when using it ran
contrary to the economic interests of some company with a competing
technology. When Ben & Jerry, the ice cream people were faced with
restraint of trade from Pillsbury, they launched a humorous
campaign, "What's the Doughboy afraid of?"   Of course, the thought
that Sun or Microsoft would stoop to this kind of action is probably
very unlikely.  They are honorable people, as we all know.

I guess it was just stupidity at DII.  Sighhhhhhhhhh.

Richard Riehle
richard@adaworks.com