From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com>
Subject: Re: file to printer (spooling)
Date: 2000/03/24
Date: 2000-03-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Peter Hermann wrote in message <8bddei$gmg$1@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>...
>we need help:
>(First of all, our primary goal is portability)
>We create, write (several ada.text_io.put_line),
>and close a text file.
>Thereafter we want to spool that file to the printer
>in order to let it print asynchronously.
>How should we do this from within the Ada program?
>We do need that action from within the running Ada program.
>
>Do we need an implementation dependent operating system command call?
>If yes, what is the name of that call?

You should implement the print command either as a configurable string in your
application or as a external script file.

E.g. in Unix/linux there is two ways to print a file. E.g. lp or lpr. In
additon you have to be careful about deleting the file because the print system
might not copy the file to be printed and only use a symbolic link to it. So if
you print and then delete, you might end up deleting the file before it is
printed.

Greetings,