From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Pragma Inline and its Effects of Compilation Dependencies.
Date: 2000/03/22
Date: 2000-03-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <2000Mar22.085654.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> How would you classify a mechanism like the DEC Ada command
> ACS LOAD ?  From my perspective as a user it takes away any
> need for me to worry about the order of compilation even on
> a clean build to an empty library.

This is a separate utility that determines what needs compiling,
and of course all Ada systems have such tools, and that is
true for both models.

BUT, and this is a big but, and what this thread is all about,
whether inlining takes place will typically depend on the order
of compilation, and tools like ACS LOAD

a) often don't take inlining into account

b) often can't take inlining into account in the sense that they
cannot deal with mutual inlining, because there is no realiable
order in such cases. In this situation the tool cannot make the
"right" choice, and at best tells you the problem, at worst
(and most typically) steams ahead and makes an arbitrary choice
without telling you.

It may take away your worry, but that does not mean there is
nothing to worry about.

I do not know for sure what the DEC Ada 83 approach to inlining
is but it would surprise me if it did inlining at bind time.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.