From: Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com>
Subject: Re: Pragma Inline and its Effects of Compilation Dependencies.
Date: 2000/03/22
Date: 2000-03-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8b64ul$jov$1@inputplus.demon.co.uk>,
  ralph@inputplus.demon.co.uk (Ralph Corderoy) wrote:

> I've read a little about gnat's gnatmake and how the compiler
> doesn't follow the normal library implementation and instead
> uses the source files coupled with ALI files.

No, the compiler does NOT use ALI files, it only uses source
files. This is extremely crucial, since the set of ALI files
would be affected by the order of compilation.

> Does that mean in practice it copes
> correctly with inline dependencies, including when they're in
separates?

Yes, inlines are handled in all cases, separates make no
difference to this at all.

> The manual seemed to suggest it didn't consider source outside
> the current library.

That's confused, GNAT has no notion of library in that sense.
The only requirement is that all sources be available to the
compilation process.

> That wouldn't help in my case.  Consider if foo was
> being built into a separate Ada library from bar;  I alter
foo.y.ada and
> build locally there.  I then want to move to bar's library and
find it
> is out of date.

This kind of scenario is handled in complete generality by
gnatmake and related tools, and the correct minimal set of
sources is always identified correctly and compiled, regardless
of changing dependences.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/