From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Type size vs. actual size difference.
Date: 2000/03/20
Date: 2000-03-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <sdcm3eaplul93@corp.supernews.com>,
  "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Topic name was:  Size (novice question).

(not relevant stuff snipped)

Vladimir, you translated 214 bytes into 214 bits in your
reading, and thus answered a completely different question!

Many are puzzled by this discrepancy between type'size and
object'size, even though it is perfectly in accordance with
the RM (and indeed is expected behavior). We find that quite
a bit of our support effort involves helping people deal with
these kinds of problems (the first step is to find out what
the underlying intention is).

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/