From: Jere <jhb.chat@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Private extension of a synchronized interface
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 07:40:54 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2019-02-18T07:40:54-08:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 3:33:38 AM UTC-5, Simon Wright wrote:
> Jere writes:
>
> > In the other part that I commented out I was trying to add a publically
> > available override to the interface operation, but haven't been successful.
> > Do you know of any syntax changes I might need to do to:
> >
> >         -- The following lines give the errors:
> >         -- "p1" conflicts with declaration at line xxx
> >         -- and
> >         -- missing body for "p1"
> >
> >         --overriding
> >         --procedure p1(Self : in out Instance);
> >
> > So I don't need to always dispatch?
>
> I'm not 100% sure why this works & the other doesn't - I think because
> Instantiation.P1 is actually publicly visible.
>
> Also not sure whether you could do away with the inner Instantiation.
>
> Anyway,

Thanks!  That gives me something to work with.  I appreciate it.  I know
my questions can get frustrating, but I learn a lot better when I test
boundaries like this.  Even if other ways might be better, there may
come a time where the people who really know Ada are less in number so
things like this can serve as teaching moments for mechanics of the
language.  Though the outstanding part of this is we don't know if this
is a language issue/feature or a GNAT issue (the original problem that is).

Maybe someone from the Arg can comment on what is intended to be allowed
and not allowed when it comes to extending synchronized interfaces.