From: "Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: GNAT crunch (suspected bug with types derived from unchecked union)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 03:49:29 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-07-13T03:49:29-07:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

Surprisingly, GNAT persist in crashing when compiling a little project
(surprisingly beceause it is known all over the place to be stable).

It ask me to send a report by mail, but request me to send some
temporary files which I cannot find any where (it gives paths, but no
files found for these paths).

As I'm not a GNAT Pro client, do you think it is useful if I send a
report, even with some missing files ?

What are they doing with these files ? (the message aks for source
files as well)

I will keep an archive of the project in its actual state, to test it
on Janus as soon as I will get it (while don't know when).

The crash seems to be caused by the usage of an uncheched record.

1) I have an uncheched record defined in a root package.
2) A child package makes a derived new type from this record.
3) This new type is part of another record which has a full
representation clause.
4) The compiler first complained the size requested by the
representation was too small.
5) So I added an unchecked pragma to the derived type as well.
6) Then when I wanted to compile the project, it crashs (I've tried
many time after clean up, but it insist on)

I've already meet steps 1 to 5 in this project, but after I've added
the pragma to the derived type, it was compiling without a trouble.
There it is not.

I will have to check the ARM about this pragma, beceause as it is
considered a reprensentation clause, I was thinking it was inherited
by derived types. But messages from the compiler seems to tell it is
not (I do not know if the buf start there, so I will check for it
first).