From: David W. Glessner <david_glessner@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: choice of fixed point type
Date: 2000/03/06
Date: 2000-03-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <89v3nq$rs7$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <S_iw4.2837$im1.54677@news.pacbell.net>,
>   tmoran@bix.com wrote:
>
> >   Gnat 3.12p NT gave no error message and used, apparently,
> > Standard.Duration
>
> As one would expect, since this type is most certainly
> visible. However, if a compiler has other fixed point types
> visible (certainly permissible), then it would be ambiguous.
> The code in question is really non-portable at best, wrong
> at worst, but not illegal if there is only one fixed-point
> type visible. At least that's my reading.

But doesn't Tom's example have two fixed-point types visible?
Namely, Standard.Duration, and Test.Duration.

(I thought GNAT 3.12p compiled, without warning, the example
even when "type Duration is delta ..." was replaced with
"type T is delta ...".  I don't have access to 3.12p right
now, so I can't verify that.)

--
David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/